Chapter 28: Food, Food Oh And Food

I followed the girls through a few hallways and finally, behold, to food. I dashed over to the nearest thing of chicken wings and dug in.

"You must've really been hungry," Emileigh said. I nodded greedily as I finished my wings and started on some noodles.

"You eat too much," Kiera complained.

"You complain too much," I retorted through a mouth of noodles. She pouted, but didn't say anything else. I continued eating, keeping a close eye on the door. The last thing I needed was for Simon to come in to me stuffing my face to food he paid for. "So, tell me about yourselves."

"Well, we're twins, obviously," Emileigh started.

"Except I'm sassier than her," Kiera pointed out.

"I thought so," I said.

"But if Kiera decided to be nice for once, the only way you can tell us apart is our eyes. I have blue eyes and she has green," Emileigh told me. I nodded.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"We need the money. Our parents died when we were five and we were put in an orphanage," Kiera explained.

"We're still there," Emileigh added.

"So, we're trying to save up to get a little apartment so we don't have to stay at that retched ophanage anymore," Kiera finished.

"How old are you two?" I said.

"We're both sixteen," Emileigh answered.

"Well, I have like, one extra room in my giant house. Want to move in?" Their eyes grew big. 

"Y-You mean you'll let us move in with you?" Kiera stuttered.

"Sure. Why not?" I shrugged. The two girls jumped up and down. "I'm guessing that's a yes then?"

"Yes!" the chorused. Doing a good deed for the week, check. I couldn't imagine how it must've felt to still be sixteen and be living in an orphanage. It must suck, watching as your friends get adopted while you have to stand back and watch. Then I realized; I was lucky. If I hadn't won the X Factor, then I would've had to go into either foster care or an orphanage since I'm underage. Yikes. That wouldn't have been good.

****************************************************

"When is the show beginning?" I asked.

"In about thirty minutes," Emeleigh informed me. I nodded. We were on our way backstage, which I tried to go to previously but couldn't find my way. 

"Are you sure you want to perform?" Kiera asked.

"I'm sure. I didn't come all this way for nothing," I replied.

"What about your son?" she questioned. She meant Stephano. I didn't want to tell them he was my nefew, so I just told them he was my son. Simple.

"My friend is coming up here with him. She'll drop him off after the show," I explained.

"Wow. You have this down to a science don't you Thaila?" Emeleigh laughed.

"Yes, yes I do." We turned the corner and there it was; the door to backstage. No guards, no Simon, no nothing.

"They're probably all backstage," Kiera muttered. "Good luck Thaila."

"Thanks," I muttered. Taking a deep breath, I entered the backstage area. Kiera was right. Everyone was backstage. And by everyone, I mean everyone. I had to quickly hide behind some boxes because Simon was literally two feet from me. He didn't see me, thank goodness.

"Are you sure she's not here?" Simon asked someone. I couldn't see. Too busy trying not to get caught.

"I'm sure. We've checked everywhere," a deep voice grumbled.