Layla- Shattered

Layla

Layla sad to the side

A couple weeks passed by, I avoided Karsen, who was always trying to get my attention, and visited Tony more and more often. My parent's fights were escalating, and they worried me, but they were last on my list of problems. I knew they loved each other, they would sort things out.

Tony's old, loving smiles were back and I realized how much I missed them. I stepped out of the school, it was warm for December, really warm. It was in the high sixties and the sun was shining brightly. I tilted my face up and enjoyed the feeling of the glow basking across my face.

"Mmmmmhhhh." I breathed at the warmth, I spread my arms a little and tilted up on my tip toes.

The peaceful moment was interuppted by a soft," Layla." I around at the voice, and when I saw who it was, my eyes narrowed.

"What do you want, Danny?" I snapped, she looked so innocent. She was about an inch shorter than me which was a anomaly since I was alarmingly short. She had her tiny pale arms wrapped around her books and were hugging them to her chest.

She blinked her big black eyes at me, and I had a couple memories of seeing those eyes light up from laughing or glisten when she cried at a sad part in a movie. I shook my head slightly to chase the thoughts away.

"Layla I-" She stopped, her little pink lips turning down in a pout, she did that when she was nervous. 

"Hurry up, I'm late to visit Tony." I tapped my foot, to speed her up.

"Tony?" She gasped.

"Yeah if you hadn't stabbed me in the back, and we were still friends you would know that I've been visiting him ."

She frowned at the conciseness and coldness in my words but continued," Layla, I'm sorry about what I did. I was just jealous, you're so pretty. And Karsen used to have that big crush on you. So I lashed out."

I couldn't help myself," Used?"

She looked down and away, black hair falling over her face," That's the thing. I have to tell you before we're friends again-"

"Hey baby." Another unwanted voice said and a tan arm wrapped around Danny's slim waist. I glared up at Karsen and he had a challenge in his eyes. A challenge I didn't understand.

"Karsen and I are dating." Danny finally blurt out, fiddling with her sleeves.

My whole world stopped and I stared at her.

They were dating? But Karsen had a girl-

Oh, that was the challenge. I glance back up to Karsen. He had pure threat in his eyes, daring me to tell her that he was cheating.

I didn't care, Danny was my friend.

And then that video flashed into my mind and all thoughts of enlightening her vanished.

I smiled sweetly at Danny, and she seemed shocked, but we were even now.

"Of course I'll be friends with you again. You two have a nice relationship." I winked at Karsen who scowled and then stalked off to go see Tony.

"Hey you!" I grinned as I entered the cell. Tony's head whipped up, surprise wide in his eyes.

"Layla? What are you doing here?" He asked, seeming startled. That's when I noticed his slightly puffy eyes.

"Hey, have you been crying?" I moved forwards going to sit on his bed with him. He looked down, sorrow in his expression.

"Tony, what's wrong? You can tell me!" I grabbed his scruffy chin and pulled his face up so I was staring into his dark eyes.

"Do you know what today is?" He said shakily, grabbing my hand that was on his chin and intertwining his fingers with mine. His hand was slightly cold, but it was really really cold in the prison.

"Of course! I wouldn't forget, I didn't tell you I was coming because I wanted it to be a surprise." I hesitantly held out the bag in my hand.

He took it and opened the top he pulled out an orange and his eyes were watery.

"The guard gave me permission to bring these to you since they weren't harmful, they're fresh from your favorite farm stand and everything. I paid extra to get them before the stand opened because I knew that's how you liked them."

His expression slowly morphed from sadness to horror. I was suddenly embarrassed at my silly gift.

"Hey, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up. I'll take it back." I grabbed the bag but he wouldn't give it up.

"Tony?" I whispered brokenly. He was rocking back an forth slowly. He opened his mouth and I had to lean forward to catch his soft voice.

"Two years ago this very day was the first time I ever saw you. I remember you were at the pier and I had just gotten over my steady girlfriend of three years dumping me. And then you came, walking out of the lake, water pouring off your hair and over your shoulders and I thought you were a Goddess sent from Heaven just for me. You caught me staring and waved. You even gave me your number, because you hoped you could cheer me up- Oh, God what I have I done?"

"Tony, it's ok. I forgive you."

He covered his face with his hands,"But I don't forgive myself. I will never forgive myself unless I am absolutely certain I will never hurt you again."

I started to reassure him that he wouldn't, but he interrupted me harshly.

"No, just go. I don't want you to visit anymore, I have a lot of thinking to do and as much as I enjoy your company, you're a distraction."

No, I couldn't lose him too. I would have no one.

"Tony please!" I begged, starting to sob. He didn't look at me but I could see his pained expression.

"Just go Layla." He ordered roughly.

My heart shattered into a million little pieces, the fragments all over. One with Karsen. One with Danny and our ruined friendship. One with Clancy wherever he was. And now one with Tony."

I couldn't look at him anymore, I backed up out of the cell before turning and sprinting down the long hallway trying to hold in the tears. I made it all the way home and opened the door only to run into my dad's chest.

"W-Where are you going?" I asked, not really focusing. Just trying to keep my voice steady. I saw he had a couple bags in his has and through the crack in one zipper I saw clothes.

"Your mother decided that it would be better if I left and stayed somewhere else for a while." I realized his voice was filled with sobs and jerked my head up to see his grey eyes were sending streams of tears down his face.

"Daddy?" I whimpered and he leaned down to kiss my forehead.

"I'll be back in a couple weeks honey." He said. Before brushing past me, taking another shard of my severed heart with him.

I dashed up the stairs and paused in front of my mother's room. I heard her crying quietly and peered in. She was slumped in her wheel chair. She had a bottle of Vodka dangling from her limp hand and seemed to be sleeping. I entered and wheeled her to the side of her bed.

She stirred, eyes opening slightly.

"Hunter?" She croaked as I lifted her into her bed and heaved her up on the mattress. She didn't fight or help.

"No Mom, it's Layla. You made Dad leave." I refreshed, sending her into a wave of hysteria.

But exhaustion was taking over an she slipped back, eyes shutting.

"I didn't mean it. I didn't mean any of it." She slurred.

"I know, but he's gone now." I said and she gave a small whimper.

I felt another segment of my broke heart stay with her as I made my way to my room.

I had nobody. I was alone. And I was shattered.

Sorry! I know it's been a while!! Unedited, because I was rushing. I know it's short but I just wanted to get somethign up. This is dedicated to @PhangilrXD for the great comemtns adn the new song on the second chapter!! Fan her, and I hoped you enjoyd.