6

My feet pounded on the asphalt of the ally, the moon helping little to light my way. Shadows loomed over me, disfigured creatures and people. The echo of heavier footsteps followed me.
Looking back I saw the Joker smile slyly. I was cornered at the dead-end, rusting pipes jutting out from every nook and cranny.
"Time to finish this pretty doll....... pretty.... pretty doll..." the Joker cackled, pulling out a bloody stack of cards. His face glitched like in a horror move, his voice bouncing off the walls violently.
  He threw all the cards at once, and I instinctively threw myself backwards, a big mistake and I knew it. As my body glided almost like in slow motion towards the broken metal awaiting me, Batman swooped down on Joker. The madman uncovered a hidden fresh card and sliced his head off. He pulled it up from the ear of Batman's cowl for me to see as I streaked towards my death. I shrieked in terror at my hero's execution.

I bolted upright, sweat flooding my brow. It was just a dream... a nightmare... I sighed heavily and threw myself back down on the messed up bed, my arms landing on a cold, lifeless lump. I turned around to investigate and Bruce's bloody head stared back at me. I fell off the bed, squealing and flailing, tears stinging my eyes.
"BRUCE!!"

"ALO ALO CAN YOU HEAR ME?! WAKE UP FOR GOTHAM'S SAKE!!" I was shooken furiously, the intruder's hands sending warm tingles down my spine. I opened my eyes slowly only to see that the world was dark and blurry from my tears.
"BRUCE... BRUCE..." I mumbled, half-asleep. The figure of Bruce slowly came into focus, in only boxers and a terrified look apon his face. He had turned on the lamp and I could see that I was curled into a ball on the edge of the bed. The ruffled blankets somehow ended up under the bed. Sweat ran down my cheeks in streamlets, my chest burning from sobs I couldn't remember.
"Alo... are you OK?" He asked concerned. I shook my head as my tears started to swell up again. My voice wavered as I explained, "You... you... you were killed by Joker.... in the same... the same ally you saved me from. And then I woke up and you you... were... still...de..dea...ad... your head was.... cut.. cut off..." I started sobbing as he hugged me.
"Shush... It's okay." He cooed. "It's ok... it was just a bad dream."
I rested my head on his broad chest as he cradled me in his arms. Sniffling I took heaving breaths to try to calm myself down. Bruce took my face in his hands and turned it towards him,
"My father once told me: Now Bruce, why do we fall down?" I shrugged and he continued. "So we can pick ourselves up. I'm Batman because when I was younger, I fell in an old well. A bunch of bats flew at me, and I was scared. But we have to learn to face our fears. Bats terrify me, and it was time my enemies felt my dread. The well lead me to the Bat-Cave, lead me to realization. And here I am now. With a secret outlaw background and a pretty girl at my side."
A while passed, the Joker's chant of pretty doll still ringing in my ears. Bruce broke the silence.
"What are you afraid of Alo?" The question burned a hole in my soul,
"Losing you..." I confessed, wrapping myself tightly around him and resting my face on his biceps, taking in the calming, faint scent of cologne. His skin warmed me up apon contact
"Losing you and... and being helpless. Like in the alley. I couldn't do anything about the pipe. And now I'll probably have that scar forever," I pondered for a while and added, "But still..........I met you."
A clock on the dresser read 12:00 PM. Time seemed to stand still as we sat there, Bruce humming something that seemed like a lullaby as I absentmindedly ran my hand down his shirtless abs. He kissed my neck softly, hauled the blankets back up, and lay me back down.
"What am I going to with you?" He teased lightly, poking my nose and smiling. "The poor poor girl."
"Hmmm..." I pondered, reaching out and hugging his arm. I snuggled my face into his chest, feeling his warmth seep through my body. Random tingling shots sprouted from my stomach. It felt good. I answered his statment with, "Maybe a good night kiss?" Bruce chuckled heartily, pulling away momentarily to stretch out beside me.
"I can do that," he murmered, and leaned in, kissing me softly for a few seconds- my gut felt heavy and warm- then pecking my forehead, "Good night Alo."
I moaned in response, "Good night Batty Boy. Please don't die niether in my dreams or real life... it would kill me."
"I'll try." He whispered back. "I'll try."
Bruce's soft snores eased my mind, soothing my thoughts. Yawning, I tried to go to sleep, Bruce hugging me tightly under the fluffy blankets, and I had a feeling he was not going to let go anytime soon. A few minutes later, I joined him in rest, the rise and fall of his chest rocking me into a deep sleep.