CHAPTER 17: CHOICES & COURAGE (PART 2)

•[YN]•

I slowly pulled my car up the driveway of the abandoned house. The sun was already setting, so it made the house look scarier than it was. I noticed some of the lights were on inside, guess he's here.

"Should I go in or wait a bit?" I asked myself. I've only talked to this guy once and that was when he told me about Greyson - still he's the only one who knows this besides my dad.

I rummaged through my bag to get the phone - Greyson's phone. I took it when I left, someone might steal it - it was still where I left it. I took out my earphones and plugged them in. Tell me something I don't know, Greyson.

•GREYSON•

Early the next day I took Whiskey for a walk around the neighborhood. It wasn't just to exercise him,but I wanted to find the old man again. Prove to myself I just didn't talk to a ghost.

"Greyson?" A familiar voice spoke. I turned around to see Morgan. Judging by her outfit she was jogging.

"Hey Morgan. Didn't know you jogged?" I smiled.

"Well, I don't. I walk. My mom wants me to be fit. I didn't want to do weighs and stuff so I go walking everyday at 6 in the morning." She explained, while stretching.

"Oh, well wanna join us?" I jerked my head in the direction of the sidewalk.

She smiled. "I'd love too." She linked my arm with hers and set off.

We were slow at first, like I said, I'm trying to find out where the old man lives. But Morgan kept complaining that she wasn't sweating or feeling any pain. In the end, she decided to go ahead and left me and Whiskey crawling on the sidewalk.

I noticed a guy and a girl on a bike as they passed us. The girl was on the back, balancing her weight on the small poles of then bike. The guy was the one pedaling. Something inside of me twitched. I wonder when will I get to do that with someone I love?

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't notice Whiskey was pulling me. Hard.

"Whiskey!" I scolded him. But he didn't listen, he pulled harder on the leash. He was practically dragging me all the way to an empty lot.

I scanned the lot. Not a single life was on it; except for the plants. I let go of the leash and let Whiskey roam around it. I can tell he's on to something. I sat down on the grass and watched him sniff the ground.

What is he up too?

He stopped at the middle of the lot and began digging. I immediately stood up and headed towards his direction. When I came to his side, the hole was already a foot deep. I saw something pop up the ground. A box!

I gestured for Whiskey to stop and I got the box from the ground. There was a faint smell of sulfur on it, maybe that's what Whiskey smelled.

I opened the box and inside were papers. Very old papers to be exact. I couldn't understand the writing for it was in Russian. But there were a lot of science jargons on it. A formula for some sort of what exactly?

"Greyson?!"

I literally jumped in surprise. I turned my head to see Lauren, her hands on her hips, and her face confused and worried.

I grabbed the small box and clipped the leash on Whiskey once again.

"Hey Lauren!" I greeted her casually.

"What were you doing there? People say it's dangerous on that lot." She pulled me in for a hug.

"Dangerous?" I barely said the word because of Lauren's tight hug.