Chapter 25

Flamefur's POV:

Flamefur jolted awake when she heard Dawnheart's yowl. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highboulder for a clan meeting!" Her voice was distant and quiet and Flamefur wondered how the injured deputy had made it all the way to the meeting clearing. Nutwhisker must've helped her. She thought as she noticed the brown furred medicine cat's nest was empty.

Slowly, Flamefur climbed out of her nest and limped out of the medicine den. Shinewing and Watersplash were stirring behind her and she heard Watersplash meow. "You watch Flamefur. I'll stay here with Silvershy and True."

"Ok." Flamefur heard Shinewing reply and pawsteps hurried behind her. She turned to see Shinewing behind her. "Hey."

"Good morning." Flamefur sighed with a scowl. "I guess your my bodyguard?"

Shinewing shrugged. "I guess so."

Flamefur flattened her ears and muttered. "Rule one: Don't help me. I can do everything myself. Rule two: Speak only when necessary. Rule three-"

"Excuse me, Flamefur." Shinewing piped up. "But I am not a servant to you. I am here to make sure you don't fall in a hole and die."

Flamefur growled. "I won't fall-" She abruptly stopped talking when her paw suddenly slip into a small hole in the ground. The unanticipated jolt made her fall clumsily on the ground and she looked up to see a smug-looking Shinewing standing above her. "Help me up." Flamefur ordered.

"You said not to touch you." Shinewing giggled and trotted away. "See you at the meeting!"

"Hey! Come back here!" Flamefur shouted after the medicine cat apprentice but the golden she cat just winked back at her before disappearing down the pathway that lead to the meeting clearing.

Flamefur growled and hastily tried to find her footing again but her hind leg slipped and she fell over again. Pain shot up her injured leg and she forced down a squeal of pain.

Just as she was about to try again, a large brown paw appeared before her and she glanced up to see her brother standing less than a tail length away. His green eyes glowed angrily as he stared down at her. "Tigerstripe," Flamefur hissed, "help me up."

"No. You don't deserve any help, traitor." Tigerstripe spat and scuffed the ground with his claws, sending dust into her face. Flamefur coughed and growled with hatred but before she could utter a word, Tigerstripe turned away and trotted after Shinewing.

______________________________

Nutwhisker's POV:

"Cats of Lightclan." Dawnheart meowed from atop the Highboulder. Nutwhisker stood beside her, allowing the deputy to lean most of her weight on him. "As you can see, I am in no shape to lead you anymore. My front paws are broken beying repair. It is with a heavy heart that must announce that I will spend the rest of my days in the elders den." She took a deep breath and glanced at Nutwhisker for support. The brown tom smiled at her encouragingly and her scarred eye brightened slightly with strength. Then she turned back to the clan. "I say these words before StarClan, so that the spirits of our warrior ancestors may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of Lightclan is... Tigerstripe."

There was a shocked wail from the far side of the clearing and Nutwhisker glanced over to see Flamefur. The flame coloured she cat's eyes were wide and her jaws were parted in horror. He narrowed his eyes. Why would Tigerstripe's own sister be upset that he was chosen as deputy? He didn't have time to ponder on the thought because Dawnheart began speaking again.

"I would also like to announce True's full name. From now on, she shall be known as Trueheart in honor of her bravery and skill. She proved to be a true warrior in the fox attack. Although she didn't fight, she didn't run. She may seem weak, but I know that with the right training she will be a truly wonderful warrior."

"Now, for my final act as deputy... bring Metalclaw out here." The deputy ordered. Tigerstripe was the first to leap to his paws followed closely by Bluesnow and Cheetahpelt. The three siblings darted back into the main clearing, quickly reappearing with Metalclaw in tow. The grey tom had his head hung low as he was tugged to the foot of the Highboulder.

Dawnheart stared down at Metalclaw, her eyes shining with slight sympathy. "Metalclaw, it has been decided that you will be exiled from Lightclan for the murder of Pebblekit."

"No! It wasn't him!" Flamefur cried from her spot. "It was Tigerstripe!"

Dawnheart let out a soft sigh and shook her head. "It is decided, Flamefur. Metalclaw may not have killed Pebblekit but he is still untrustworthy. I will not put our clan at risk for something as little as this. By sundown today, he must leave the territory."

Nutwhisker watched as Flamefur's ears drooped sadly and she slumped on the ground, her gaze low. A pang of sympathy ran through Nutwhisker. He knew what it was like to love someone and not be able to be with them. At least he and Watersplash's secret was out so that they didn't have to keep hiding it.

Tigerstripe spoke up suddenly. "May I make an speech?"

Dawnheart nodded with a soft smile. "You're deputy now, so of course you can."

Tigerstripe nodded back and quickly climbed up the Highboulder, brushing past Dawnheart and Nutwhisker and straight to the edge of the boulder. "Cats of Lightclan. I am honored to be chosen as deputy in Dawnheart's place. I hope she made a good choice. I know that I will never be good enough to fill Dawnheart's pawsteps but hopefully I will help Lightclan grow stronger."

Nutwhisker started toward the way down the Highboulder but suddenly, Tigerstripe spoke again.

"Now, for my first act as deputy... To exile the cats I deem untrustworthy."

___________________________

I only just thought about this twist as I was writing xD