Chapter 23

Nutwhisker's POV:

"We need help!" Dapplegrey's voice made Nutwhisker turn his head in the direction of the camp entrance. Watersplash rose her head from the crook of Nutwhisker's neck and gasped when she saw Dapplegrey's patrol walk into camp carrying three limp bodies.

Nutwhisker leapt to his paws and rushed over to them. Dapplegrey gave him a guarded look. "Nutwhisker? What are you doing out here?"

"I'm no longer crazy." Was all he muttered before darting toward the first limp body- True. The rogue's fur was splattered with blood and she was barely breathing. Nutwhisker immediately kicked into action, feeling happy to be healthy and well enough to heal his clan mates. He hated how he had been sick for the past couple of days. He needed to get back to healing his clan mates.

The brown tabby tom quickly helped Cloudsun carry True into the medicine den. They laid her down in a spare nest where she slumped, still unconscious from the blood loss. The white and grey warrior paused to watch Nutwhisker as he began working on True. He dived into the herb store and brought out cobwebs and marigold for her wounds. He also picked up some poppy seeds and thyme in case when the she cat woke up she went into shock.

Nutwhisker rushed the herbs over to True and quickly applied the chewed marigold onto her many deep wounds. He felt Cloudsun's blue gaze burning a hole in the back of his head and glanced briefly over at the young warrior. "What?"

Cloudsun tensed and shook his head, lowering his gaze. "N-nothing." The tom whispered self-consciously.

"Then leave." Nutwhisker hissed and returned to treating True's wounds. He let out a soft sigh of relief when he heard soft pawsteps leading out of the den and felt his whole body relax again. He hated cats watching his every move. He couldn't concentrate properly.

Soon after, Watersplash and Shinewing came bundling down the tunnel with two other cats. Nutwhisker glanced over as the two cats were placed beside True and he recognised Silvershy immediately. He glanced over at the third cat, having trouble identifying her because of all the blood. After closer inspection, he realised it was Dawnheart. She was barely clinging to her life- her whole face was cover in blood and it looked like one ear was missing completely. Nutwhisker narrowed his eyes further when he noticed her front paws tucked underneath her and he glanced over at Shinewing and Watersplash questioningly.

"Her paws are crushed. Every bone is broken. Every muscle shredded. We won't be able to save them." Watersplash answered softly, her eyes sad. "She will be disabled for the rest of her life."

"Oh no..." Nutwhisker gasped and flattened his ears. Now the deputy is out of action. We'll need a new one. But who? Stormstar isn't fit enough to appoint a new one.. What will happen to Lightclan now?

Shinewing spoke up suddenly. "Silvershy is waking up."

____________________________

Silvershy's POV:

Silvershy awoke to a pounding headache. She let out a soft groan of pain and raised her head, immediately regretting it. Agony shot through her entire body and the memories of the fox attack came rushing back to her.

At first, relief filled her. I'm not dead. But then the panic began to settle in. But where am I? Did the fox take me to its lair? Everything was blurry- just a mixture of colours and shapes.

"Silvershy? Silvershy can you hear me?" A shape appeared before her and warm breath ruffled her whiskers. She narrowed her eyes and tried to speak but found that her throat was so dry she was unable to utter a single word.

Slowly, her vision returned and her nose suddenly started working as well. The scent of the medicine den engulfed her and she saw Nutwhisker, Watersplash and Shinewing all around her. She let out a breath of relief and closed her green eyes for a heartbeat to calm her racing heart.

When she re-opened her eyes, Watersplash was pawing water-soaked moss near her muzzle. She smiled gratefully and licked at the moss. She sighed happily, feeling better already just by the sweet touch of liquid on her parched lips. As she sucked up the water from the moss, Shinewing tended to her wounds. She heard the young medicine cat mutter a few times about how her wounds were deep but there didn't seem to be anything seriously wrong with her. Thank Starclan.

Once Silvershy felt that she could speak again, she meowed softly. "Who found us?" Her voice cracked as she spoke but it was surprisingly strong nevertheless.

"Dapplegrey's border patrol heard your yowls and rescued you just in time." Watersplash replied as she began working on True's wounds. "I'm surprised True is the least hurt of you all. Is she a good fighter then?"

"Actually," Silvershy murmured, "she's the complete opposite of good. She can't fight at all. If it weren't for Dawnheart and I fending off the foxes then she'd be dead."

Watersplash's eyes widened slightly. "That explains Dawnhearts... Injuries."

At the mention of the deputy's injuries, Silvershy turned to look at the grey she cat beside her. A soft gasp escaped her lips as shestared at Dawnheart. She looked so... broken. Blood was everywhere. A thick pool of dark crimson blood surrounded Dawnheart as she slept. "Will she be okay?"

Watersplash shook her head mutely and Nutwhisker whispered. "Her front paws are shattered. We won't be able to fix then. The only way to save her life would be to remove her paws entirely."

"W-what?!" Silvershy's eyes widened. "But then she can't be deputy!"

"Exactly!" Watersplash fretted. "Who can lead the clan now? Who will chose the next deputy?"

"You could. You're the medicine cats." Silvershy suggested, glancing at the trio.

Nutwhisker exchanged a glance with Watersplash. "No way."

________________________________