Chapter 12

Silvershy's POV:

The following day Silvershy was on a hunting patrol with Eagleflight, Yellowpelt and Darkfeather. The patrol was hunting along the shoreline in search of fish. Silvershy had never caught a fish before; she was quite excited to be on the patrol.

Yellowpelt paused near a deeper part of the water. "Let's hunt here. Spread out along the shoreline and look into the water. Make sure your shadow is hidden otherwise the fish will swim away. We're going to try and hunt small fish, so it'll be harder to catch them because they're quicker and smaller."

Eagleflight grumbled. "Do we have to get our paws wet?"

"Of course." Yellowpelt chuckled. "The fish won't come to you!"

Darkfeather waded slowly into the water, the waves lapping at his ankles. "I'm going to catch a nice juicy fish for Silverwing and our kits!"

Yellowpelt nodded with a smile. "Come on Eagleflight and Silvershy! Follow Darkfeather's example."

Silvershy rolled her eyes and slowly stepped into the water. The cold water swayed around her paws, making her shiver. "Now what?"

"Sit and wait for a fish to come." Yellowpelt replied softly, her gaze already fixed on the water.

Eagleflight grunted. "Didn't you just say that the fish won't come to you?"

"I meant that the fish wouldn't just leap into your waiting jaws." Yellowpelt's whiskers twitched with a small grin on her face.

Eagleflight rolled his eyes and waded in after Silvershy. His warm fur brushed against her's and she felt a wave of warmth pass through her at her mate's touch. She was so glad Eagleflight had finally asked her to be his mate.

Silvershy glanced down at the water and searched for fish. She sighed when she saw none. "This is boring." She meowed. "Fish are boring."

"I agree." Eagleflight joined in.

"Ha!" Darkfeather suddenly scooped his paw into the water with a splash and brough it back up with a little silver fish hooked in his claw. Silvershy blinked in surprise.

"Wow, great catch Darkfeather." Silvershy praised with a flick of her ears.

"Thanks." Darkfeather smiled sheepishly and quickly killed the writhing fish.

There was an angry bark behind them and Silvershy twirled around to see a fox standing aggressively near the patrol. It's white paws stayed firmly on the sand, not daring to venture into the waves where the patrol stood. The fox looked male and as Silvershy peered closer, she saw the heads of two fox cubs and a mother fox hiding behind the bushes.

Yellowpelt hissed and unsheathed her claws. "Try to scare the fox away! It doesn't look like it wants a fight!"

Unfortunately the fox growled and, as if to prove Yellowpelt wrong, he launched himself straight at Silvershy. She yowled in surprise as the fox's claws pushed her down. Water quickly swallowed her up, covering her face. She writhed and struggled, bubbles rising around her as she fought to find the surface and breath. Memories of her nightmares with NoName came rushing back to her, only making her panic grow. Silvershy sucked in the seawater without thinking, her lungs filling with the salty water. She coughed and gagged, causing more water to enter her lungs.

Just as she began to get dizzy the fox was knocked off her and she resurfaced again, coughing heavily. She hunched over as seawater poured from her mouth followed by many more coughs. The deafening sounds of cats fighting were nothing but a pesky ring in the back of her mind as she focused on breathing.

"Silvershy!" A cry sounded in front of her and she lifted her head, the world around her swaying, to see the fox lunge for her again. But just in time Darkfeather latched onto the fox's back, tugging its attention to him. Eagleflight raced to Silvershy's side and ushered her away from the water and onto the safety of the beach. The brown tom quickly began licking her drenched fur as she watched Yellowpelt and Darkfeather bravely beat back the fox.

Silvershy watched in awe as Darkfeather landed the final blow on the fox's head that sent it squealing away. The mother fox and her cubs quickly raced after the male fox, disappearing into the undergrowth that lead to the forest.

Everyone on the patrol breathed a small sigh of relief. Darkfeather leaned down to lick a few scratches on his hide while Yellowpelt checked around the area for anymore dangers.

Silvershy lowered her head with a small purr as Eagleflight's warm tongue lapped at her fur. Her mate's purr rumbled beside her, calming her even further. She was about to drift her eyes shut when suddenly Yellowpelt yowled an alarm. "Rogue!"

Silvershy gasped and shot to her paws, Eagleflight still beside her. She looked up to see a rogue she cat cowering in the bushes, Yellowpelt staring her down. "Who are you?"

"T-True! P-please let me join your c-clan! I'm all alone." The little she cat whimpered softly, her head lowered respectfully.

"What's your name?" Silvershy asked, confused.

"My name is True!" The she cat replied in a high-pitched voice. "Don't hurt me please! I'm sorry for trespassing... I saw you fight the fox... It was amazing, I want to learn how to fight like that."

Yellowpelt's tail signalled for the patrol to stay calm and non-threatening before she nodded at the young she cat. "Alright, we'll take you to our lead- I mean deputy- and see what she says."

___________________________________