Chapter 21

Silvershy's POV:

Silvershy climbed out of the stream, True following her. She shook out her fur, splashing her friend as well. True leapt away with a squeal. "Hey!"

"It won't make a difference, you're all wet anyway." Silvershy pointed out with a small grin. She looked up at the sky to see it was nearing sundown. She flicked her striped ears and meowed. "It's getting late, we should be heading off soon."

True nodded and began grooming her damp pelt. "Alright." The former rogue cleaned her tail while Silvershy began licking her paws clean of the mud that had stuck to them.

Their grooming session was suddenly cut short when Dawnheart came racing up to them. The deputy's eyes were stretched so wide that the white around her eyes could be seen. "Fox!" She yowled at the two. "Run!"

Just as she spoke, a fox came crashing through the undergrowth. Silvershy recognised it as the fox they encountered by the sea the other day. She growled and lashed her tail at the fox. "We can fight it!" She hissed boldly.

"But not his friends!" Dawnheart snarled and tugged Silvershy with her as she launched herself into the stream. True came up beside Silvershy as they waded hurriedly through the water.

"What's going on? Can't you fight it? You're warriors!" The smaller she cat was growing fearful and she glanced behind her with a small squeak.

Silvershy looked behind her to see two more foxes appear behind the first one. A grim expression met her face as she reached the other side of the stream. Silvershy turned to True. "We can't fight that many foxes. All we can do is run."

True's eyes widened. "B-but you can fight them.. You're fierce warriors! You never back down!"

Silvershy shook her head. "You've been listening to too many fairy tales. We aren't that mighty."

True whimpered. "I don't want to die."

Silvershy flinched as the first fox entered the stream with a vicious bark at the two. "You won't die if you start running now!" She yowled and took off after Dawnheart, who had already made it many tail-lengths ahead of them.

________________________________

Nutwhisker's POV:

Nutwhisker awoke in his nest inside the dark leader's den. His whole body felt odd as if he had just slept for a moon. His eyes were back to their original bright green- no longer dull and crazed. A strange calmness overcame him as he slowly got to his paws. Everything about him felt renewed and full of life again. He was no longer trapped within the cage of his dark thoughts.

Glancing over at Stormstar, Nutwhisker saw the black tom whimpering and writhing in his sleep. Pity wrapped its talons around Nutwhisker's mind as he watched his leader dream. "Sleep well Stormstar and may Starclan save you from the horrors of your mind."

Then, the brown tabby tom edged closer to the den exit. He took a deep breath, his emerald green eyes wandering around the main clearing. It was only a couple of tail-lengths away. Nutwhisker craved freedom again. He could taste the fresh salty air on his tongue. He wanted to be with Watersplash. He wanted to get back to his medicine cat duties. But first he'd have to prove that he was sane. But how?

"What are you doing?" The voice of Redwish tugged Nutwhisker into the present time and he cleared his throat, preparing himself both mentally and physically to leave the den at last.

___________________________

Hey readers. If you get a moment, could you read the book Natural Enemies by @ShokonShadar?