Chapter 11

Flamefur's POV:

With the help of Shinewing and Watersplash, Flamefur had managed to get out of the medicine den in order to see what was going on. When the news reached her, she was shocked. The first thoughts that went through her mind was; Why did Nutwhisker and Watersplash have kits? And Metalclaw would never kill an innocent kit. What was surprising was that there were rumors that Nutwhisker lost his marbles and tried to kill Metalclaw. Flamefur wished she could've been there to help Metalclaw. Although he would've faired quite well without her help.

Leaning over Shinewing's shoulder, Flamefur tried to pick out Metalclaw from the front of the meeting clearing. The whole clan had gathered in the smaller clearing in anxious wait of Stormstar. It was obvious that the clan desperately needed the safety and reassurance of a clan leader to calm them down. Too much was going on.

At last, Flamefur spotted Metalclaw's long thin tail flicking irritably near the back of the Highboulder. She saw Nightstrike and Redwish stationed by Metalclaw as guards. She sighed sadly, wondering what would happen to him.

"Hey Flamefur!" Tigerstripe purred as he neared her. "How are you feeling?"

"Good." Flamefur meowed softly, lowering her head to avoid her brother's green gaze.

"Is that all?" Tigerstripe urged her to go on.

Flamefur shrugged. "What else do I say?"

"Um.. What do you think will happen to Metalclaw?" Tigerstripe tried to get her to talk.

"I don't know. But if he is exiled, then I will go with him." Flamefur hissed.

"No!" Tigerstripe growled, wrapping his tail around her protectively. "You will stay here with us!"

Flamefur tried to pry herself away from Tigerstripe but he only held on tighter, a wary look on his face. Flamefur narrowed her eyes. "What is wrong with you?"

"Nothing." Tigerstripe growled. "I'm just looking out for you. You know that I'd do anything for you right?"

"Uh, yeah I guess so." Flamefur shrugged her brother's tail away from her but he quickly intertwined his tail with her's.

"Cats of Lightclan!" Flamefur looked up and gasped in surprise to see Dawnheart standing atop the Highboulder. Other cats murmured in confusion as Dawnheart continued. "I know most of you are confused as to why I am here and not Stormstar. It is because your leader is... not in his right mind at the moment... For now he will stay inside his den along with Nutwhisker- who has also shown signs of Stormstar's symptoms. I want three warriors to be stationed outside the leader's den at all times. But I'll sort that out later on. For now, I will step up as leader."

At Dawnheart's short pause, the clan immediately burst into meows of confusion and fear. Wails of horror streamed throughout the clan and Flamefur let out her own wail of anguish just as Dawnheart began speaking again.

"A short while ago, Pebblekit's dead body was discovered within the nursery. He had been killed. Some cats inspected the bite wounds on his neck and confirmed that an adult cat from this clan delivered the final bite." Yowls broke out again.

"It was Metalclaw!" Tigerstripe snarled, his voice ringing around the clearing. More cats joined in with Tigerstripe and Flamefur's eyes widened in horror. No! He can't have done it!

Dawnheart lifted her tail for silence before glancing down at Nightstrike and Redwish. The two young warriors nodded and hauled Metalclaw to his paws. The grey tom slumped as he was tugged to the front of the Highboulder. Once he was sat down, head lowered sadly, Dawnheart spoke up. "Metalclaw, did you kill Pebblekit?"

"No." Metalclaw meowed, voice hard.

Tigerstripe growled. "Just admit it! Stop lying to us!"

Metalclaw shot Tigerstripe a death glare. "Why don't you tell the clan that it was you!"

Flamefur gasped. "What?" She looked at Tigerstripe to see her brother was seething.

"Stop lying! It was you!" Tigerstripe snarled. "Just admit it!"

Metalclaw rose to his paws and unsheathed his claws but Nightstrike dug his claws into Metalclaw's shoulders, pulling him back down. Flamefur could see that Metalclaw was itching for a fight and could easily knock aside his two guards but miraculously, the grey tom dipped his head and sat down again.

Tigerstripe spoke again. "It was Metalclaw! Metalclaw killed Pebblekit!"

Flamefur narrowed her eyes at her brother before she suddenly realised what he was trying to do. He's trying to get Metalclaw to snap and hurt someone. Even if he hadn't killed Pebblekit, he'd be banished for attacking his clan mates! Metalclaw fought to stay calm. Flamefur could see his claws ripping and tearing at the soil below him and his tail lashing.

Thankfully, Dawnheart spoke up. "Who do you think killed Pebblekit, Metalclaw?"

"Tigerstripe." He hissed without hesitation. "He lured Silverwing away and when she was gone, he ran back to camp and killed Pebblekit. Then he told me there was something in the nursery for me, so I went in and saw Pebblekit's body."

Dawnheart fixed Tigerstripe with a long stare. "Is this true?"

"Of course not!" Tigerstripe snarled. "He's just making up a story to save his own hide!" Yowls of agreement flooded the clearing and Flamefur felt her chest tighten in fear.

Dawnheart blinked calmly and meowed. "I will discuss this further with Watersplash and Shinewing. Until we come to a conclusion, Metalclaw will be held prisoner inside the elder's den. I want three warriors to guard him at all times. Fluffystream and Loveheart may sleep in the Apprentices den as it is empty from Shadedstar's... sudden disappearance."

"No!" Metalclaw hissed. "I didn't kill Pebblekit! Please don't lock me up in the elders den!" He struggled against Redwish and Nightstrike as the two warriors began dragging him to the den.

"Would you rather be exiled?" Dawnheart raised a brow.

"N-no!" Metalclaw gasped but still tried to tear himself away from his guards. "Just let me be with Flamefur!"

"I cannot allow you to be around my clan mates until you are guaranteed as safe." Dawnheart reasoned with him.

"We can't have you killing more cats." Tigerstripe sneered with a smirk.

Flamefur growled and tried to get to her paws but Tigerstripe held her back. "Stay here. You don't need to be with that fox-heart."

Flamefur cringed as pain shot through her leg from Tigerstripe's rough grip and she yowled. "Metalclaw no!"

Metalclaw glanced at her with wide, terrified eyes. "Flamefur!" He cried, trying to get to her. He tore himself away from Nightstrike, kicking Redwish away. But just as he took one step closer to Flamefur, Dapplegrey charged at him and threw him off his paws. The senior Warrior pinned Metalclaw down and snarled as he continued to writhe.

Lamefur screwed her eyes shut with a low snarl. "Tigerstripe let go!"

"No! I will never let you go!" He hissed before a wave of tiredness ran through her, darkness edged her vision and her whole body slumped as she closed her eyes.

_____________________________________