Chapter 29

Hi guys, read the A/N at the end please!

Zayn’s POV

            The howling of an owl overhead startles me in the darkness of the forest.  Night fell quickly as I continued my way down the mountain towards the basin of the ranch below.  I haven’t eaten in days, I’m thirsty beyond belief, and I’m so weak.  The strap of the large gun slung over my shoulder continues to rub into my skin as I weakly walk.  I was running earlier, but that’s been proven difficult lately.

            Finally making it to the road at the bottom of the mountain, I look out in front of me and see the large flat waves of grass, glowing in the moonlight.  The dirt road cuts right through with a streaming river next to it.  The river is fairly wide, and drops down a good few feet from the ground until you hit the water.  My mouth starts to salivate at the thought of drinking it, but knowing how dirty it could be I force myself to look away.

            Lugging the gun once again, I start trudging down the road, seeing a dimly lit house about five miles away from where I am.  I’ve got a long walk.  But I have to hope the boys are there.  I can save them from this Charlotte girl, go back for Liam and the fan with their help, and get out of here.

            With every sound I hear along my walk, I flinch in terror gripping my gun.  Who knows what’s out here?  My t-shirt’s non-existent right now, seeing as I used all of it as cloth to tie on my arms to stop bleeding.  The woods got the best of my strength as every branch tore my skin.  My pants are dirty and my shoes are caked with mud, but I keep going.

            Suddenly, a familiar sound faintly starts behind me: an engine.  To me, it’s become a deadly noise, because I know it can only come from Sammy’s house.  Tyler and Jarred must be out looking for me, they drove every night searching for Louis when he escaped so I’m positive they’re doing the same for me.  Shit.

            The engine sound grows louder, and a faint stream of light from the front of the truck can be seen in the trees as they wind their way down the road, getting closer and closer.  I need to hide, now.  Breathing rapidly, I set my sights on the river, it’s the only place I have right now.  I sprint over to the edge and sit down, removing the gun from my body so I don’t get it wet.  I set it on the grass as I lowering myself into the calm water.

            My hand slips and I slide down, crashing into the deep, cold, murky water.  The temperature wakes me up, but I pull myself quickly to the wall of mud on the side.  Pressing my back up against the mud, I attempt to wipe some of the water off my face, only to smear mud streaks on my cheek and forehead.  The gun somehow finds its way into my hands as my dripping face stares at the reflection of the moon in the water.

            The engine gets closer and closer as the headlights light up the road above me.  I press my body further into the side to hide under the ledge, the water up to my thighs while I hold the gun out of the stream’s reach.  I keep a cold stare, not daring to look up at the road.  I’ve felt fear this whole time, and I’ve already cried too much.  For now, I can’t feel.  For now I have to survive if I want to find the boys.  We’ve gone through too much to let my curiosity or fear stop us from escaping.

            My strips of fabric around my arms soak up water as I see my chest rise and fall from my now steady breath.  You will not die tonight, Zayn.  You will not die tonight.

            The engine comes to a halt above me.  Two doors slam shut as heavy footsteps hit the dusty ground.  Gritting my teeth, I don’t make a sound as the squishy mud seeps down my back, plastering itself to my skin.  Just stand still.