Piano Man - Chapter 10

My body quickly tensed up as I closed my hands forming fists and my eyes narrowed turning into slits. “ I don’t believe you” I spat while chasing after Robby. He couldn’t just say that and leave I need answers. Robby stopped on the stairs and turned around.

“This is why I didn’t tell you. I knew you wouldn’t believe me and I knew I’d have to tell you where I found him and you’d get hurt” he explained.

“Robby I don’t need a bodyguard.” I declared. “ I am old enough to make these decisions on my own. I’ll find dad with or without your help” I explained while stomping away. Robby had no right to hide this from me, if it was even real. What if he was just telling me this to get me to stop looking for dad, although this does explain why he seems to despise our father with a passion.  I continued to stomp into my room and threw myself down on the bed while letting out  loud sigh. Why couldn’t someone just give me straight answer about my dad. If he was so well known around the world how has he managed to hide all these years. He has to be out there somewhere and one way or another I am going to find him.  

“Darcy” Robby cooed from the doorway.

“ Go away traitor” I replied coldly.

“How am I a trader?” Robby furrowed his eyebrows.

“ You always choose mom’s side when are you going to choose dad’s and mine?”  I asked chucking a pillow across the room.

“I’m not choosing sides Darc,  and if I am then I am choosing my own. Honest to God, I went to dad and he doesn’t want anything to do with us. I didn’t want to believe it either, but mom was right.” He said as he sat at the end of my bed.

“ Oh yea, then where is he?” I asked crossing my arms.

“  243 Gardiner Lane, Dublin” he stated sharply and walked away but stopped at the frame of the door. “ I guess you’ll have to find out yourself.” he added as he looked to the ground as he walked away. Robby was either giving the acting performance of his life or he was being completely  honest and I was about to get my dreams crushed, but either way I have to find out.

***

“Love you, be safe, make sure you are home in time for Zayn’s arrival  and to be in bed early for your  jobs” Shawna explained to Noah and I as we hopped into the old truck. Noah had offered to spend the day driving me to dublin and back. It was only an hour and a bit from there  but if I did find my dad we would have to calculate time in for visiting as well.

“ Love you too mum” Noah replied out the window and then started the truck. It was so nice of him to offer to drive me there once I explained everything to him and I am not going to complain about spending the whole day with only Noah in the truck. We pulled out of the long laneway and Noah turned up the radio, playing some country tune.

“Uhm, what is this?”  I laughed.

“Music” he stated focusing on the road.

“Not very good music” I teased him.

“So you’re not a country fan” he asked looking away from the road for a second.

“ It’s a bit repetitive and boring” I shrugged.

“ And pop isn’t?” He chuckled.

“ I never said I liked pop” I argued in a joking manner.  “ I like the old stuff, Adele, Pink, ColdPlay, not any of the mainstream crap like Jessica Bieber or Rory Swift.”  I explained. I loved the old stuff which is why I am surprised I never came upon my dad’s band much before this.

“Touche” Noah nodded and changed the channel to an older one. “ Maybe if you’re lucky Ed’s or our dad’s song will come on”

“ Ed use to sing?’ I asked.

“ Yea, he and our father’s were part of the ‘british invasion’, ironically enough since I’m Irish.” he chuckled. “They were best friends, that’s how I got the job at the bar in the first place” he explained.

“ I see” I stated and then looked at the window as I watched the scenery of Ireland pass me by.  I started to slouch and hum to a song on the radio as I watched tree after tree, telephone pole after telephone pole, until I slowly drifted off.  I imagined meeting my dad and him greeting me with open arms, telling me how much he’s missed me  and been searching for me. It wasn’t till Noah woke me up by shaking me slightly, that  realised how close this moment could actually be to happening. I got out of the truck and Noah followed behind me, incase instead of my father it was some creep. I walked up to the duplex reading the numbers 243 and rang the doorbell. I waited there counting to ten, and when no one came my heart sank. I knocked on the door this time incase the doorbell was broken but still no answer. I looked to Noah in disappointment and he gave me a weak smile while putting his arm around my shoulder.

“ It’s okay we can come back another day” he explained.

“What if this isn’t even his house, what is Harry Styles of  243 Gardiner Lane doesn’t exist” I panicked to Noah, thinking the worst but his attention was no longer on me. It was on the laneway, I followed the pathway of his vision to see a man with curly hair, probably mid forties walking up the laneway.

“Can I help you two?” the man smiled revealing a wide smile and dimples within small wrinkles.

“ Hi, I’m Darcy Styles and this is Noah H-” I was cut off by the man.

“ Darcy” his eyes focused on mine for a while and then I was abruptly pulled into a hug.

“Dad” I asked looked into his eyes, trying to read him. He waited a few minutes and then nodded while signalling us to follow him into his house. We followed him into his sitting room and placed ourselves on the couch carefully.

“ Can I get you two water?” my dad asked.

“ Please” Noah answered probably thirsty from the drive. My dad got up and within a few minutes he was back with two glasses of water. He then sat down and looked at his hands awkwardly. This was really an awkward situation.

“ I’m sorry” he said. Was he apologizing for not being there for me all my life or for leaving my mom? “ I-I’m sorry you two drove all the here from god knows where” he continued. I looked at him funny. “ But finish your water and leave” he stated coldly.

“ But...dad?” I said feeling my eyes start to tear up.

“ But nothing, I wasn’t in your life and didn’t look for you because I didn’t want to be and I don’t now. I thought I made this clear to your brother-we may be blood related by we are not family and I’ll never be your father”

I couldn't believe what i was hearing...Robby was right.