Piano Man - Chapter 17

I kept my eyes shut, listening to Noah’s instructions as we drove down a bumpy road towards my surprise. My mind wandered to different thoughts of what it could be. Maybe it was an important fact about my dad? I couldn’t think of a reason why Noah would need to spend time alone with Nour for my surprise. Maybe this was just an excuse? My mind jumped to the next conclusion. My mom always told me I had a mind that never stopped and now I am seeing what she means by it, and I wish it could just stop. I should be excited for my surprise not worried. I tapped my knees with my hands as I impatiently awaited my surprise. Finally after some more intense bumps the truck stopped and Noah turned off the engine. I sat there waiting.

“Are you going to guide me? Or am I going to have to risk my life to get to my surprise” I joked sarcastically at Noah, who then grunted slightly as he moved quickly, running around to the other side of the truck to open my door.He gently grabbed my arm and lead my away from the truck and to  a rocky surface. It had only been a few steps and I stumbled at least three times, almost spraining my ankle. “Ouch” I let out another whimper as I tripped over something.

“Here is might be easier if I just carry you for  this part” Noah offered and the scooped me off my feet and held be bridal style while making his way slowly down the jagged surface we were trying to get by. “Are you okay?” he asked as he continued to carry me.

“Yea, are you I’m a bit heavy” I stated knowing I wasn’t as tiny as other girls, I guess I wasn’t overly big either though.

“You’re light, I was just checking” Noah chuckled setting me down as he caught his breath. “We are almost there” he added, grabbing ahold of my hand and walking me. I could tell by the surroundings that we were near water. I could smell the moist, crisp,  and clean smell of water as well as hearing waves crashing. I assumed we were at the beach. “Okay, open your eyes” Noah exclaimed with excitement. I opened my eyes to see the lake at least a hundred feet below me, and all kinds of nature in the distance. We were standing on a cliff. The scene was truly beautiful, however I didn’t see how taking me here required Nour’s assistance.  I turned to Noah and smiled.

“Thanks, it’s beautiful” I  nodded my head as i took in more of the serene view.

“This isn’t the surprise” Noah smiled, “ Or all of it anyways,” he added and turned me around to see a small blanket with a picnic set up on it, surrounded by a few candles. “I really like you Darcy, a lot.  I thought we should have our first date” he explained.

“Normally you ask the girl” I joked.

“This way you couldn’t say no” he shrugged and guided me over to the blanket, making sure I got comfortable. I opened up the picnic basket to find ham and swiss sandwiches along with sparkling apple juice, and cupcakes for dessert. “ I hope you like it” Noah blushed slightly and smiled at me, while grabbing his sandwich. “I asked Nour what a girl would like.I knew I wanted to bring you here, I just wanted to make it more special than just a cliff with a view” he explained.

“It’s great Noah, I couldn’t have asked for a better surprise”I smiled while  looking off into the distance. I couldn’t get over the view.

“So this means you’re my girlfriend now, right?” Noah asked awkwardly.

“I guess it does. I mean you’re an amazing cook”, how could I say no?  I joked taking another bite of the sandwich.

“Sorry, I really didn’t know what to bring” he scratched the back of his head.

“it’s fine, this is actually one of my favourites” I  explained. We sat and talked while making small jokes towards each other while finishing our sandwiches and then finally our red velvet cupcakes, until finally Noah got up. “Where are you going?” I asked.

“There is more to the surprise but I just realised I left the other part in the truck. I’m going to run and go get it, you can wait here” he explained. I nodded and let him run off, the surprise was amazing but I still didn’t see why Nour had to spend all the time alone with him when she could have told him what to do in the matter of seconds.  I didn’t want to come off as jealous as psycho so I decided not to ask Noah even though it was bothering me. I breathed deeply taking in as much fresh air as possible, as I waited for Noah to return. I closed my eyes and relaxed while waiting for Noah to come back, and finally opened them when I heard his footsteps.

He came running back, with a small sweat causing his floppy hair to stick to his forehead until he sat down next to me and swept it back. “ I tried to hurry” he explained. “So I was going through that box of old stuff we found to see if there was another clue, or something we missed” Noah continued.”When I found this” he said and held out a small chain with a paper airplane pendant on the end of it. The pendant anyways. Your dad always use to wear these two necklaces one of them was this one and the other one was a cross. I thought you’d like it, so I got you a new chain for it, well Nour picked it out. I am horrible will jewelery if it wasn’t for her you would have had some serious bling, I am talking 2 chainz” Noah laughed and held up the necklace offering to put it on. I felt a giant hint of relief in my heart when he said that, it finally made sense why he needed Nour to come along with him and thank god she did. I shouldn’t have seconded guessed Noah like that but it wasn’t exactly in my nature to trust men.

“Thank you” I beamed and then gathered my hair into one big strand and held it up away from my neck. Noah gently put it around my neck and clasped it together and then started leaving small kisses on my neck. I bit my lip as his lips moved further down my neck, it felt so relaxing. His hand then cupped my cheek turning my face to meet his, where he lined up our lips. I kissed him back slowly, but I couldn’t concentrate because I had something else on my mind. I waited a few seconds and pulled away from the kiss. I’m the worst girlfriend ever, in stories when boys kiss the girls thoughts all disappear but whenever Noah seems to kiss me, my overworking brain begins to think even more.

“Did I do something wrong?” Noah asked.

“No, I’m sorry” I apologized and started to laugh slightly, Noah looked at me confused. “I’m sorry I always pull away from you when you kiss me” I giggled a bit more. “I like kissing you I promise. It’s just something you said that got me thinking” I explained.

“What was it?” he asked.

“You said my dad always wore this necklace and one with a cross?” I  double checked before I continued to explain.

“Yea?”

“The man at the bar...he was wearing a silver cross necklace” I paused. “You do know what that means?” I added and at the same time I was about to tell Noah, he figured it out

“He’s your dad”

“Then why is he denying it?” I whispered to myself.