Piano Man - Chapter 18

The two of us couldn’t have ran back to the truck faster. As my feet stumbled and regained their balance over the rocky surface, I could feel the adrenaline pump through my veins.  The steady thump of my footsteps echoed in my ears, and became louder as my energy started to drain. I was never very athletic. I felt a bead of sweat roll down my forehead, as I pushed to keep up with Noah who was a good amount ahead of me because of his long legs. We finally reached the truck and we were both short of breathe, both gasping to get our  breathing pattern back to normal while trying to not stop moving as we didn’t have much time to get to the bar. I might have spooked Michael off with my confrontations, and now that I have more to to confront him with he might be willing to open up...maybe he'll tell me why he lied to me. We also had to drive back to the house first to let Niall know what was happening as well as check in before we go on our adventure to town. The last thing we needed was to worry the adults.

I pushed the door open quickly when we got home, turning all the eyes on us. I caught my breathe again and breathed deeply in order to stable my shaky voice, I was fully of anxiety. As soon as I was able to speak clearly I looked to Robby who was looking back at me with great concern. “I think I found dad” I managed to push out, spreading shock across everyone’s face. How? Who? What? Where? When? Questions were being thrown back at Noah and I as soon I shared the news. Finally Niall calmed the room.

 “Everyone be quiet”  he hollered causing everyones panic turn into hushed wonders.  “Let them explain” Niall added quieter. We sat them down and explained everything, every bit of research we had done since I got here, and everything that added up and pointed towards Michael being Harry. After we finished explaining there was a huge wave of silence.

“Can I go confront him again?” I asked looking at Niall for his permission. Over the time I’ve been here Niall had acted my parental figure, or uncle. I was going to go either way but I thought I would show the respect and ask.

“Of course. Did you want to stay for a minute though? Robby was just about to call Louis, we can put him on speakerphone.” Niall suggested. I nodded in agreement to Niall’s idea, if Louis and Harry we as close as everyone led them off to be then Louis deserved to know that we found my dad, after all these years of his disappearance. We all sat around the phone while Niall dialed and Robby sat near the receiver. We all impatiently waited as as the phone rang, waiting to hear a voice on the other end and just when we didn’t think anyone would answer, someone did.

“Oi, it’s Louis what can I do for you?” I slightly overtired voice spoke to all of us.

“U-hh” Robby stuttered into the phone and I nudged him. “Uncle Louis, it’s Robby” he finally managed to say. The other end of the phone line became silent for a bit and then finally Louis answered him, sounding a bit more cheerful.

“It’s been a long time, what has you calling me?” he asked.

“Darcy and I have been trying to find our Dad for a while now.  I know you didn’t want to help when Niall called you...but I thought you should know that we found him”

“Is this some weird trick to get me out there?” accused Louis.

“N-no not at all, Darcy found him and she’s going to go talk to him now. I thought I should just let you know because if we have a reunion then of course you’d want to come, and he’d want you there.”

“He doesn’t want any of us, that’s why he hasn’t contacted us.” Louis stated into the phone. “But if any chance he does want to see me, tell him to call me himself. I’ve got to go now Robby, it’s getting late and I have to tuck my son in. I love you, and I hope your dad is everything you imagined him to be. Truly, you don’t deserve any more pain.” Louis explained and then hung up before Robby could reply.

“Well that was progress” Niall chuckled slightly. “ Now we just need to get Michael to admit he is Harry” he added. “Robby if you want you can drive you and Darcy there. I mean he is your dad, you guys should be the first to know him as it.” Niall passed Robby his keys and we both got up making our way back out to the truck. I got up and walked to the door and Noah followed me,giving me a quick kiss before Robby caught up.

“I hope we’re right Darcy. I really hope so. I love you” He whispered and then headed back to sit with the others while Robby and I prepared ourselves mentally to meet out dad.

“I can’t believe you found Dad” Robby stated after a while of silent driving. “ I can’t believe I fell for all the  lies that were told to keep him hidden” he added and smiled slightly. “Good job Darc.

“Thanks, but I wouldn’t have figured it out without Noah. He helped me put the final pieces together and Ed, I’m sure if you had talked with them you would have figured it out” I explained. I didn’t want to gloat that I was the one that finally found Harry after all these years, although I was excited. I just needed him to admit he was our dad, and not lie to us for once. I think him seeing Robby and I together might just be enough to break him. How could you lie to both of your kids after not seeing them in over a decade.

We pulled up and made our way into the bar, everyone was enjoying a drink and watching Michael or should I say Harry perform. We took a seat and ordered a pop, and watched as we waited for him to finish his set. The second he finished and the applause started Robby and I stood up and made our way over to Michael.

“HI Darcy, it’s nice to see you” He smiled taking a seat at his regular table, and took a sip of what looked like vodka.”Who’s this?”  he pointed at Robby.

“My brother Robby or should I say your son” I looked him in the eyes hoping to get a reaction, but nothing happened.

“I thought we already went over this.” he sighed. “Darcy I’m not your father, as much as you want me to be.”

“Then explain this” I tried to keep my voice stable and my eyes from moistening as I pointed as his cross necklace.”My dad always wore two necklaces, this one is of them” I showed him the necklace around my neck “and that is the other.” I referred back to his.

“Your dad did always wear them...” he explained. “But he gave that one to your mother as a gift.” he stated. “His necklaces were important to him so he only gave  them to people that were extremely important to him.

“How’d you get it then?” I asked.  I was for sure that Michael was my father, he had to be.

“B-before the wedding, a day or two before it. Your father met me and gave it to me. He told him to give it to you if I ever met you. He wanted his daughter to remember him. I completely forgot about it till now.” Michael explained and took the necklace off of his neck and handed it to me. I sighed in defeat. I had no more leads, without Michael and that necklace I had nothing.

“Wait” Robby raised an eyebrow at him. “You said he told you to give it to his daughter?” Robby asked.

“I’m sure he wanted to leave something special for you, don’t take it too seriously “he told Robby.

“When I was little my mom and dad told me a secret and that was that I was going to have a little sister. They told me no one knew, not even Uncle Louis and not to tell anyone until after the wedding” Robby explained. “He didn’t tell you that” Robby explained. “You knew about Darcy before the wedding...dad.”Robby confronted him. I was in complete shock. Was I actually right this time?

“Did I say he specifically said daughter? he said child, my mistake. I’ve drank a lot tonight” Michael refuted Robby’s argument. Robby just looked at him with anger and then grabbed Michael’s glass and started chugging back the vodka.

“Robby!” I scolded him.

“That was some good water” he exclaimed as he finished the glass. “Now can you start telling us the truth? Robby asked in an angrily.

 “I-I can explain” Michael looked at me defeated pulling off his beanie revealing his head of curly hair and then touched his eyes gently removing the contacts.

“Dad?” I asked with tears forming in my eyes, he simply nodded. “W-why did you lie to me when I asked? Why did you leave us?” I managed to get out before sobbing.

“Robby...Darcy...I can explain”

A/N: Please check out my friend, legendofyoutube 's new story dear heart.