Piano Man - Chapter 5

I didn’t get much sleep, how could I? There was too much going on in my mind, how were we going to get this Liam guy to tell us more about my dad, it seemed as if no one would willingly talk about it, it was I was Harry Potter and my dad was Voldemort, no one dared to say his name. I rolled out of bed hoping that Noah would have more of a plan. When I went down stairs and saw him laying on the couch in nothing but boxer eating cereal with what looked like orange juice i quickly knew I was the brain behind the operation. He was...just along for the ride and had some useful information. The rest of the family was in the dining room eating a properly prepared breakfast, as soon as I walked in and sat down my mom got up, looking at her watch.

“Looks like I got to jet, Kenneth will be here any second” she explained kissing Robby on the cheek and then me. “Be good for Niall and Shawna!”

“We will” Robby and I replied at the same time. 

“Noah, please come sit at the table and for god sakes put on some clothes” Shawna  scolded her half naked son.

“M-u-m” He rolled his eyes, grabbing  pants out of a laundry basket putting them on.

“N-O-A-H” Gabby piped up, “ You don’t want to scare Darcy away on the first day” she stuck out her tongue.

“Shut it” he glared and I just picked at my food trying to avoid the family squabble. “Besides Darcy doesn’t mind the view I saw her staring, and trying not to drool” He smirked at me and I could feel my cheeks turn a deep red. I wasn’t staring, I was...inspecting and he wasn’t too shabby if I say so myself. 

“Noah!” Niall snared at his son but then chuckled and gave him a small wink. “ I need someone to pick up the mail  for me at the post office, any takers?” 

“Noah and I will” I smiled, and Noah shot me a glare. Apparently he is not a morning person. He has his eyebrows furrowed, and his jaw clenched in a pout,  as we left the house.  “ What’s up with Mr.Grumpy pants?” I teased.

“ You do realize we live on a farm, and are now walking into town on a hot summer day?” He asked.

“ I do” I said very slowly, and nodded my head. “ It’s like a small adventure, plus it will come in handy.” I said holding up his father’s address book.  

“ I don’t know if you have geography in your school curriculum but we can’t walk to England to find my dad’s friends...” He stated sounding partially sarcastic.

“Thank you Einstein” I yelled loudly into the sky, my voice echoing amongst the rolling green  hills. It was a hot summer day, but not nearly as hot as it would get in America.  The sun shone down creating mirages along the long paved roads.  

“You’re weird” He laughed 

“Thank you” I took it as a compliment. “ Anyways I thought we could use the opportunity to talk about my dad when we don’t have to whisper,  and use a payphone to call Liam.

“ That’s...actually a good idea” He smiled. We continued to walk up the empty road until eventually you could see a small town ahead of us. 

“Do you have to walk in and get the mail everyday?” I asked. I know I volunteered us today but  as a regular chore it could get rather annoying. 

“I normally pick it up when I come home from work, which my dad lets me borrow the truck for” He explained, as we kept walking at a fairly fast pace. 

“ You have a job? Where?” 

“ I’m a dishwasher at a pub” He laughed. “ It’s a great profession, I know” He wiggled his eyebrows jokingly and I could help but burst out in laughter. “You snort when you laugh” Noah  pointed out and started to laugh along with me. We continued to laugh and create small talk as we walked farther into the town and finally up to the post office, which within second we had Noah’s father’s mail collect.It hardly seemed worth the walk I had signed us up for, but getting to call Liam was my first priority.  He could tell me everything I ever wanted to know about my dad,  maybe even more. What if he knew where he was?  I let my mind wonder filling my imagination with different scenarios.