Bat-Lecture

We Zeta to the Watchtower to get my leg x-rayed (Barry wouldn't stop fussing), and while I'm sitting there on the machine Batsie thinks it's a grand idea to start lecturing me on the mission. "You can't rush into things h-" he continues. "Hot-headly or you're just gonna get hurt. Rage is a double edged sword." I finish for him. "Cut the zen bullshit Bats. I could just pick up an issue of "Darkest Night" if I wanted to hear that." I reference. I leap off the counter and lean over Batman's shoulder, taking a peak at the x-ray. "So??? What's up doc?" I jest. He uncharacteristically grins slightly and answers, "It appears that your leg set perfectly." "Okay, we're alone. I should ask him now..." I mentally psych myself up. "Hey Batsie," I tease, "What have you dug up on the portal I came through?" He looks up from the equipment he was switching off. "I was waiting for you to ask that. However, since I moved all the information on you into a safe in the Batcave I guess you'll just have to come with me." He invites.

We take the Zeta's directly into Gotham. "I take it you know the way. Meet you there." He gives me permission to speed there. I dash to the hidden entrance out front of Wayne Manor and I blow through the motion detector. I pause for a moment on the other side waiting for a alarm, but none comes. I glance down into the cave and spot a red-clad figure at the computer. I zip up behind him soundlessly and say, "Whatcha doing?" Robin jumps from the chair and flings three bird-a-rangs at me. I dodge the first two, and the third one veers too far to the left. "You missed bird brain." I jest.

He blurts, "Oh my god, Jessie I'm so sorry." Huh? Suddenly a sharp, warm pain hit in my back between my ribs. He shamefacedly becomes very interested in the floor and mutters, "I don't miss."

"Jeez Grayson, you're jumpy." I joke, his eyes flicking up scared for a second, "Ya gonna help me with this?" I gesture to the general vicinity of the shooting pain in my back. He nods and walks over. "So," I make an attempt at conversation, "What were you doing on the computer?" "Fortifying the Bat-Com." He proudly stated. "Makes sense. You'll be the best hacker in the League one day. Keep at it, Rob." I encourage, knowing that he deserves some attention. "That doesn't look like it will close on it's own." A growl emitted from somewhere behind me. "Thanks for your concern, but I think I'll be fine." I sassed.

"Still, you're making a bloody mess and Alfred will throw a fit if he thinks it's from me or Dick." He explains. Robin wraps up the wound while Batman went to get the files. As Dick finished up I decided to give him the lecture that Bats clearly had in store for him a little softer. "Hey Rob. You've got to be more careful. I know I snuck up on you; in the Batcave no less. It's just if it wasn't for my speed I'd probably be dead. It could have just as easily been Speedy or a Leaguer and the first two shots looked lethal." I lecture slightly. He nods, "We don't exactly get visitors here often."

He sits back down at the computer and continues his work as I walk off to find Batman. I spot him on the other side of the cafe and I dash over to him. "Hey Batsie!" I say quickly. He flinches, making a fist with his hand momentarily, then he hands me the manilla files. "Like father like son." I quip. "He's not really my-" I cut him off. "Yes he is. He's more your son than the biological equivalent ever could be. You're his hero, no matter how old or strong he gets he will always look for your acceptance and respect. You WILL do right by him Bruce." With a death glare that made him take a step back I sped off. Stopping momentarily I call The Question and set up a lunch date in Hub City, his home town. He suggests a little Italian place who's owner owes him a favor or two.

I walk through the front door in my civvies. And find myself being escorted past the crowds and into a spare dining room; empty apart from a ginger man surrounded by laptops and spaghetti. I zip over and read over his shoulder. "Lexcorps has been found linked with..." Duh. He's an investigative reporter. I totally forgot for a sec.

"So... I never got the chance to thank you properly for organizing my rescue from Count Douchebag." I start. "How do you know if it was me?" He tests me, looking up from his computer. "Child's play. Barry likes to think the best of people and wouldn't get worried enough until at least 3 days later. Batman was too busy to notice and Manhunter has plenty of heroes to coordinate not to mention I'm not truly on the Justice League system until I'm an official member. You're the only person left who knew I was gone or would notice me missing, also you were at the rescue itself raising probability." He nods and I toss the file folder across the table to him. "I read it on the way here and was wondering if you'd take a look." I ask out of pleasantries, knowing fully well his curiosity would force him to read it. He flips through the first page and looks up with the face of a child on Christmas. This is gonna be fun.

Hey there readers! It's your friendly neighborhood writer finally back from a (short and unplanned) hiatus. Sorry about the wait. It took forever to figure out where to take this story next, but now that I've got a (rough) outline I'll be continuing the serialization! See ya in the next chapter!