Chapter 26

Caden's POV

Skyler didn't want to sleep alone in the guest room so he slept in the bed with Sebastian and I.

He was a sweet little boy. He was really cute too when we washed off all the grime. He was probably the prettiest boy I had ever seen.

He said he was three. He looked to be just skin and bones. I really do hope we are able to keep him.

I was currently sitting in the living room with Skyler watching cartoons. He had never watched tv before. He was amazed. Sebastian was talking to people seeing if we could adopt Skyler.

"I really like it." Skyler said about the show he was watching.

"I like it too, but shh don't tell anyone."

"Why not?"

"Because adults aren't supposed to like cartoons."

"Why?"

"Because their for kids."

"Well I think adults are boring then."

"Well not all. I'm not boring am I?"

"No! You watch cartoons."

"So if an adult watches cartoons then they aren't boring?"

"Yes!"

"Ok then." He went back to watching his cartoons. A little while later I put him down for an afternoon nap.

I found Sebastian sitting on the couch.

"So?" I asked.

He shook his head and I felt myself deflate. I didn't want Skyler to go into foster care. I've already fallen in love with the little boy.

"They didn't want to give him to us because we are a gay couple so I threw some money at them and then they started to turn around. They won't let us adopt him until they see if he has any family that want him. They said we could be his foster parents until they contact his relatives."

"How do they know who his relatives are?"

"They don't. They want me to bring him to the police station to get his DNA. They want to see if it matches up to any of their criminals since Skyler was living in a bad part of town."

"Ok well what if they don't find anyone he's related to?"

"Then we get to keep him."

"How long is this going to take?"

"A month."

I nodded my head. If they find someone at least we can say he had the best month of his life.

"What if he is neglected or abused by the person if they find someone?"

"Then I'll get Jerry to take care of it."

I know what he means when he says this. I would be ok with it too.

It felt like the weeks flew by. Skyler gained weight. He almost looked healthy. He loved to watch cartoons and take bathes. He was always amazed at the different food he ate.

The first time he had chocolate he had the widest eyes. He yelled out, "This is awesome!"

I always love watching him try new things. He was so innocent with things like that.

I remember us walking by an alley and he would stand closer to me and urge me to go faster because the "bad man hangs out there." I asked why he calls him that and he said "because he hurts girls and gives mommy shots that make her act weird. He did things to her that made her cry. They didn't have clothes on."

I can't believe that people would do things like that in front of a child.

We were waiting on the police department to call us and tell us if they found anyone.

"I'm nervous." I whisper to Sebastian.

"I am too, but I know everything will work out right."

Ring ring.

"Hello?" Sebastian asked.

I couldn't hear what was being said so I looked closely at his face. He had his brows furrowed as he listened.

"Ok well now what?" He asked after listening for a couple of minutes.

He nodded his head.

"Ok. Bye."

"So?" I asked nervously.

"He said his parents and none of his relatives want him, which isn't surprising because they are all crack addicts and drug dealers. We just need to go to the courthouse and sign some papers and he's ours."

"Skyler!" I shouted excitedly.

"What?" He asked.

"You get to stay with us! I'm so happy."

"Are you my new mommy?"

I blushed and looked at Sebastian.

"Yes he is." Sebastian said with a smile.

"So you're my new daddy?" He asked.

"I can be if you want me to." Sebastian said.

"I never had a daddy before. I want you to be my daddy."

"Then I'll be your daddy, baby." Sebastian bent down and hugged Skyler.

Skyler started to cry. "What's wrong baby?" I asked.

"I'm happy and sad. I'm happy I have a mommy and daddy but sad that my real ones don't want me."

"Baby they're just blood. That doesn't make them your real parents. It's what they do that makes them your real parents. Your parents didn't act like parents so they weren't your parents. We are going to act like your parents so we will be your parents. Do you understand?" Sebastian explained to him.

He nodded his head. "I'm glad you found me."

"I'm glad I found you too. I want to give you the best life possible to make up for your crappy start."

"Thank you." He said to Sebastian.

"You don't have to thank me. I'm just doing the right thing."

"I watched a show and a boy called a girl his wife. What's that?"

"That's what you call someone when you are married."

"So is Mommy your wife?"

"No, we aren't married."

"Why not?"

Why not indeed.