Chapter 23.

*****

My mother walked up to me and I ended up stepping back until my back hit the wall.

"You - you found him?" She asked, her voice terrifyingly soft.

I swallowed staring at my trembling hands as I knotted my fingers together.

"I -" I didn't know what to say.

"You found him and you didn't tell me?" She whispered.

"H-he said not to, he -" I was cut off by what was probably the hardest smack she had ever given me. I would have fallen if I hadn't slammed into the tall cabinet beside me.

"Don't you lie about him! You little bitch! You kept him from me!" I cried out as she hit me again. "I hate you." She said. "I hate you!" She screamed. 

"I-I'm sorry - I -" I screamed as her tea splashed onto me, my hoodie prevented it from burning my chest or arms but it soaked into my jeans and burnt my legs.

I completely blanked out on her shouting and movements as she just full-on attacked me. I didn't really know what was going on, but I could feel it and it hurt. I heard glass smashing through the sound of the heavy rain and her screaminig and I felt it cut into my skin, despite my hoodie.

All I could think through all of it was, 'They're going to kill me.'

I don't know when Gerald had joined in but when I tried to run, he pulled me back by my hood, my jacket ended up ripping off because of all the rips the glass had created, leaving me in my white t-shirt which was stained with bright red blood.

"I-I'm s-sorry - please -" I cried out completely terrified as he slammed me against the wall.

I groaned falling onto my knees as he slammed his fist into my stomach. Before I could even begin to release the tears that stung my eyes I felt my mother's shoe slam into the side of my face making me fall onto the floor.

"We don't need you - I didn't need you." She spat. "He hates you too! You're just jealous of him!" She was right... I was. I was jealous of Lyle. I was so jealous of him. How could I not be...? "You useless little bitch! No one wants you here!" She shouted.

I could barely let out a scream as something hard smashed against my knee. I had already screamed so much my throat hurt. My eyes shot open as the same thing connected with my back making me cough. I saw it swing back down and tried to block myself but it hit my shoulder. I cried out feeling like my shoulder had been smashed in.

They were undoubtedly trying to kill me. She didn't need me. She had her son. He'd give her what she had kept me for. He'd give them money and whatever else they wanted. They were going to kill me. I lifted my arms over my face as Gerald swung the bat back down. I gave a scream despite my throat as I heard - and felt - a painfully loud snap.