Chapter 40.

*****

I walked into Kevin's house on Friday afternoon feeling a little nervous. Max had given me the afternoon off, so I had decided to speak to Kevin before I went home while Lyle was still in after-school meetings and Natalie was still at work. Damien was coming over to the apartment but that was only in the evening since he had to take his mother somewhere at five o'clock. He would be at the house at six. Everyone being busy gave me some time to meet Kevin without having anyone question where I had been.

The house was filled with the familiar people I had seen there previously and had the usual atmosphere of music and high fun. The only people that were never high here were the guards, there were six of them that were there to deal with anyone that got too rowdy.

"Hey, Hannah." I smiled at one of the guards, Blade. I wasn't sure if that was his name or not, it's just what everyone called him. I figured it was a nickname. I never actually spoke to him, we just greeted each other.

"Hey... is Kevin here?" I asked shifting nervously as I looked around avoiding his face because of his stare. He had a habit of staring at pretty much everything female really intensely. It was creepy and it made me uncomfortable, which was another reason I avoided anything to do with him beyond greetings.

"In there." He pointed to the other lounge; it was calmer than the one I walked into when I entered the house, which was funny. Shouldn't the calm one be at the entrance?

I thanked him and began heading towards the other lounge. I had never felt easy in the house unless I was really high... which was always just when I arrived. Usually when I arrived, the pills I took before school had worn off.

I walked into the other room and my eyes fell on a girl making out with a guy as she grinded her barely covered body against him. It wasn't something I had not seen before, though I tried to avoid it. It was an uncomfortable sight considering that one or both people usually looked quite out of it. There was money on the table, which was weird. No one usually just left money laying around, the white powder and the pills scattered across the table were not an unusual sight though... On another couch sat a girl dressed the same way in basically just underwear with a really short skirt, something the girl making out was missing, but looking bored as she played with the hem of her mini skirt and finally my eyes fell on Kevin who sat with his feet on a table as he typed on his phone. He looked up and smiled holding his hand out to me.

"Hey, Sweetheart." He always called me that.

"Hi... um... I can't stay, I just came –"

"To say goodbye? Figures." He said I furrowed my brows but he shook his head, "Ignore that. If you're saying goodbye, at least just stay a few minutes." He took my hand and pulled me onto the couch beside him.

"I, um... I can't. I have to meet someone later so I have to go now, but I won't be coming back... So I just wanted to say that and uh... thank you," I tried to get up but he grabbed my wrist.

"Not yet, Hannah. Don't worry, you can meet them later." He said, "Right now, though. I finally figured out how you can pay me back." He said.