Chapter 31.

*****

"Hannah, are you - why are you crying?" I felt Victor's hands take my shoulders but didn't look up at him, "Hey, it's okay." He hugged me when I didn't reply. I shook my head surprised that he, of all people, was comforting me, out of all of Damien's friends, I figured Victor would be the last one to do that. He grabbed my face forcing me to look at him and frowned, it made me realise it wasn't the first time he was seeing what my face looked like beneath the makeup. He had been at the hospital too. "It's okay." He whispered. I hated how I felt like I could trust what he said. "It's okay." He repeated. I was being so gullible, but I couldn't help it. Why did Damien and his friends have to seem so sincere?

I nodded slowly and he smiled.

"Your makeup's a mess... I'll fix it." He grabbed my hand and began leading me through the school.

When we reached the empty soccer field, I had stopped sniffling but I knew for sure I looked like crap... Well, more than usual with my puffy, red eyes and nose along with the streaked makeup. He pushed me to sit on one of the seats beside the field.

"I'm hoping you have something for me to work with in here. Because if not, it's going to be really embarrassing asking one of the other girls without telling them about this." I gave a laugh when he spoke while he opened my bag before he went rampaging through it, "Ah, there we go." He said pulling out my makeup.

"You do makeup?" I asked raising my brows.

"No. But I know how it works. I have four older sisters and let's just say between the ages of nine and thirteen were the worst and weirdest years of my life because they all entered the teen experimental phase and made me their model..." He said. I laughed. He smiled at me as he worked with the casing. "Keep still..." He smiled as he began working on my face.

"Hannah. Vic you found her -" I felt arms circle me from behind as a chin rested on my shoulder.

Victor smirked as I bit my lip feeling Damien hug me.

"Dude, you do makeup?" That was Elliott.

"No. I was - I was touching up... 'Cause – 'cause she doesn't have a mirror." Victor said giving me a look.

"Yeah." I nodded smiling.

"Been with him for a day and already trying to get away." Elliott, Victor and I laughed as Damien punched Rick's arm while glaring at him.

"You alright? Where were you? I thought you'd be at your locker or in Lyle's class, but I couldn't find you." Damien said returning his arms to my waist from behind me but now leaning his head against my back. I looked down thinking about the weirdly bent position he would have to be in to hug me that way without kneeling.

"Are you kneeling?" I asked, "You're getting dirty." I added turning to see that he had his knees in the grass.