Chapter 28.

*****

"Hannah, he'll be here in an hour."

"Who?" I mumbled into my pillow, I hadn't slept much, whenever I closed my eyes I was afraid I'd wake up to my mom, dad or Gerald yelling at me and hitting me.

It was stupid, but those dreams felt so real...

"Damien." She said teasingly. I looked at her.

After we had eaten, Damien and I had watched a series of Men at Work before he fell asleep on the couch, but despite his exhaustion, Lyle threw him out.

"I'm tired," I mumbled.

"Yeah? Well, I think some fun would be good for you, Hannah." I opened my eyes to see Lyle looking at me concerned.

"You're willingly letting me go with him?" I asked in surprise.

"If that's what it takes." He replied.

I sat up in bed and looked at him.

"If that's what it takes for what?" I asked.

"For you to live a little." He said walking out of my room, "Get dressed!" He called back.

I furrowed my brows. Was I not alive? Natalie laughed at my confused face.

"Get ready, Hannah." She said.

-----

A few minutes later I was standing staring at my reflection.

I frowned at my body before I pulled my jean on to hide the scars on my legs, it was ripped at the knees, luckily I had none there. I pulled on a long-sleeved striped t-shirt and hoped Lyle, Damien and Natalie would keep quiet about how warm it was outside.

I then pulled Damien's jacket on because, for some reason, I felt less pathetic in it and quickly slipped my sock-covered feet into some boots before looking back at the mirror. I frowned at the still visible cut on my cheek that was undoubtedly going to scar and brushed some of my hair into my face with my fingertips to hide it before I sighed.

Why the heck would Damien want to hang out with me?

Was he messing with me?

I bit my lip at the girl staring back at me before I let my eyes fall to the carpet.

Don't, Hannah. Don't let him in. Don't like him. He's messing with you. There's no reason a guy like that - or any guy for that fact - would like you.