Chapter 21.

*****

"Good morning, everyone." It was one of the rare days where I didn't see Lyle last period, in fact, it was the first period.

His greeting received a few mumbled responses, it being Friday everyone was already out of it. It actually made me feel better because I could barely keep my eyes open, knowing I wasn't the only one was comforting.

"I trust you all still have your brains intact because I'm giving you an essay -" he was cut off by protestant groaning that made he laugh, and I was left wondering if he ever got tired or worn out, "It's a weekend assignment, but it's on an activity in this book, and for some reason someone seems to have misplaced half of the books -" he was saying.

"So, only half the class gets the essay?" Damien spoke up jokingly.

I smiled hearing some people laugh.

"Haha - No." Mr Creed smiled, "You're working in groups to get as many notes as you can before this class ends." Mr Creed said.

"Groups?" Some asked sounding as if they were dreading being put into one.

"Yes, but I'll let you choose. Three in a group, pair up." I frowned looking down hoping he'll figure out that I have no one to pair with and will just let me do it on my own but hearing chairs scrape right in front of me made me look up in surprise.

"Hey." Damien smiled at me as he sat in that belonged to te desk in front of mine and leaned his arms on the seat's back.

I looked down even though he couldn't see my face.

"Hi," I mumbled twisting the bracelet around my wrist under the table.

"You're working with her?" I heard Victor.

"Yeah," Rick said from beside me.

"Why?" Elliott asked.

I didn't look up because I knew the entire class was staring at us waiting for the guys' response. I wanted to disappear or melt or evaporate... Anything... My wish for superpowers wasn't granted though. Obviously. I just had to be a normal human being... Well... 'Normal'.

"Why not?" Damien replied.

"Elliot, Vic, sit down." Mr Creed said.

They obeyed and Mr Creed began to hand out books while I sat feeling uncomfortable as people around us whispered about us while Damien and Rick sat staring at me with wide smiles, not saying a word. My palms were beginning to sweat and my stomach was knotted to a sickening point...

"Hannah," I looked up as I heard Mr Creed speak while he dropped a book on my table. "What did I say about keeping that on in my class?" He had a mischievous glint in his eyes. Was this him getting me back for ignoring his calls and messages after I left yesterday? I told him I wasn't going to speak to him, it was his fault. I shrugged in response. "Take it off." He said.