ASHLEE

THE FRONT DOOR OPENS AGAIN, Anna’s camera still pointed in my direction. I’ve probably went through the dance at least seventeen times.

“Don’t stop yet,” she says, checking her camera, “Just one more shot.”

“You know what I don’t understand?” Aiden asks, folding his arms. I look toward him. He’s sitting on the sofa, facing us, a concerned look on his face.

He can probably tell that my body is worn out.

“What?” Anna asks.

“Why didn’t you just freeze-frame that video you took last year?”

“Because that’s not as fun. Now, one more shot, Emma. Please?”

I’d forgotten Jeremy was here, sitting next to Aiden on the sofa. I grunt as I look back at Anna.

“One more, damn it,” I say.

“Alright. Aiden, please?”

“No, let Jeremy do it.” He grins, leans against the back of the sofa. Jeremy gives me a dirty look (and for some odd reason, it doesn’t bother me), walks toward the stereo to start the song over.

“Wait a sec!” I hear Ethan’s voice from the balcony. When I turn toward it, he’s already halfway downstairs, making his way toward us. “Now, I know you didn’t start without us.”

“Well,” Anna says, “when you’re over an hour late, I don’t know what you expect.”

“For you to wait?”

“Hmm… nah… I have work to do.”

I look up at the balcony again, see Ashlee leaning against the rail. She smiles at me, her jet-black hair clashing with her skin. I smile back as she runs downstairs, toward me.

“Sorry guys,” she says, “we all know how Ethan gets.”

He glares at her as Anna laughs. “Too bad you have to deal with him,” she says.

“Nah, it’s why I love him…” she hesitates, looks around at all of us, “You guys can keep going. Don’t have to stop for us.”

She walks toward the sofa, sits next to Aiden in Jeremy’s spot. He shoots another dirty look toward me, and I really don’t care to notice.

Ashlee’s looking at me, and it’s the same way Ali looks at me.