PAYBACK

ANNA WALKS INTO THE BATHROOM a few minutes later. She stares at me, confused and concerned as she always looks when she’s knows something’s wrong with me. I sigh as I pull my hair away from my eyes.

“What’s wrong?” she asks, “You okay?”

I shrug. “I don’t know. I don’t think so.”

“Do you want me to take you home? I mean, we can hang out again later during the week. I’m going to be in the neighborhood all summer.”

“Yeah. Thanks.”

“Alright. I’ll go get your stuff.”

She walks back out of the bathroom, and I wait. He must think I’m an idiot, to just walk off in the middle of a conversation, to be incredibly rude to someone I care about.

This must be why girls like me get raped. I think it’s payback for all of the wrong things we’ve done.

Anna walks back into the bathroom, hands me my bag. “Ready?”

I nod as I follow her out of the bathroom, outside into the parking lot. I feel bad now, blowing her off just because a rapist was sitting across from me, because the one of the only people I actually feel comfortable with was sitting next to me.

The problem was I felt too comfortable… and that’s too risky.

I can’t risk telling anyone about Jeremy, especially not after what he told me.