Chapter 8

Two Days later

Alfie pulled his car up to a brick building. I looked at him "This is it, floor two room 207." he said pointing at the building. "Will you walk me in?" I said a little worried to go in alone. "You know we can't risk going in together." I reached around to the backseat and pulled my bag over. I pulled out a black hat and sun glasses "please?" I said holding them up.

Alfie rolled his eyes an pulled his cap on and pushed the sun glasses on. we then got out of the car and walked into the building and up to my apartment. I put the key in and turned it. I walked into a studio apartment with one bathroom off to the side.

"This only till you graduate next year. then we can move to where ever you want." I gave him a nervous smile. then I felt him turn me to face him "You're strong. you can do this." I nodded and he tucked some hair behind my ear then pressed his lips to mine. we parted and I looked into his eyes "Ok." he smiled

He looked out the one window in the room. "I can stay till night but then I have to go." I didn't want to stay the night here alone but we had no choice. "Cheer up. lets play twenty questions!" I nodded. He walked me over to the middle of the room where we sat down facing each other. "You start!" he said with s comforting smile.

I thought for a minute "Whats your favorite color? Mines maroon by the way." He smiled "Blue" I smiled and he nodded. He thought for a minute. "Favorite song?" "Drifting by Yellocard." He squinted his eyes at me "Yellocard?" I nodded. "My turn! Why are you an English teacher?" He looked at the floor then me "When i was little i wanted to be a writer so bad. But as i grew older everyone told me i couldn't do it. So I soon gave up, but i didn't want to stop with literature. so i became a English teacher!" I nodded at his answer. "My turn! Who left these bruises on your body?"

I looked away and back at him "My step dad alright." I saw the vain in his neck pop out. "Why?" I shot him a look. "Its not your to ask, its mine. Umm...are you a virgin?" It was the first thing that poped in my head. He shook his head no as i expected him to. "Are you?" I turned my head away trying to avoid eye contact. "With who?" I looked at him and his face was turning red. "Alfie look that's none of your  business!" I sternly said to him. "Is he a student of mine?" I just stood up avoiding the question.

"Who's that girl in that picture of you at Disney? Explain that Alfie!" He stood up and slipped his glasses and had hat on. "Its my cousin Tiffany! See unlike you have nothing to hide!" He turned to walk away but i grabbed his wrist. "Alfie wait i-" He came forward and kissed my forehead "See you tomorrow." He then removed his wrist from my grip and walked away.

He quickly walked out of my apartment, I then looked out the window to see him get in his car. He took a deep breath and sat there for a while, then drove away. I pulled my blanket out of my bag and laid on the mattress. Even if i told Alfie he would probably run for the hills. I started crying and i guess i fell asleep.

~

I woke up that morning dreading going to school. But against all odds i got up and limped to school. I got to school to find people starring at my black eye and limp, some even mocked my limp right in front of my face. Ive never cried at school but i couldn't take it anymore. During lunch i spent it crying in the bathroom stall. I felt like i couldn't breath, i was also shaking. I was physically and emotionally tired, i just wanted to sleep. But i had to wait till the end of the day.

Soon that came and i limped into my last hour of the day, English. I walked in to see Alfie sitting at his desk looking at a blank screen. We made eye contact but no words were spoken. Then Dedra and Tod walked in hand in hand, he looked at me then kissed Dedra on the cheek. The kiss didn't hurt me, it just hurt me that i hurt him. I then turned my focused to Alfie who was starting to talk.

"I don't have anything prepared for today becouse i was busy last night, so i thought we would have a class discussion about trust. Who would like to go first?" He was being an ass about this, there are reason i don't want to tell him. Then Tod raised his hand, i turned to look and he locked eyes with me. "Some people you cant trust. They make you think they can but then they crush you." I slumped in my seat and turned to face the front. "Hey tell us the truth about how you got that black eye." Dedra said pointing to me. I really couldn't take is anymore i got up from my seat and walked out the door.

I was walking down the hall when someone spun me around, it was Tod. "Look I'm sorry ok? You just dumped me out of the blue, and i might have told Dedra that your dad h-" I pushed him away. "WHY OF ALL PEOPLE WOULD YOU TELL HER?" I yelled at him. "I was mad." He said barley above a whisper. "YOU WANT TO SIT IN THERE AND SAY YOU CANT TRUST ME? IS THAT WHY EVEY BODY HAS BEEN GIVING ME AN EXTRA HARD TIME?" He nodded. "I AM SO HAPPY I BROKE UP WITH YOU! ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS YOUR FUCKING SELF!" He tightened his fist. "Avery stop." I pushed him harder.

"NO! YOU SAY YOU CANT TRUST ME WHEN YOU ARE THE ONE TELLING MY SECRETS!" He then pushed to the ground. "I SAID-" Tod was cut off by him being pushed to the ground as well. I looked up to see Alfie. "DON'T YOU EVER LAY A HAND ON HER!" He growled stepping closer to Tod. I pulled on Alfie's pants leg marking him look down at me. He picked me up and pulled me to his side. I put my face in his shirt and started crying, i felt him rub my back. I lifted my face to look at Tod, i then pushed away from Alfie. 

I turned to see almost half the school looking at me. "Well looked like Avfreak gets hit with or without her dad." I felt my blood boil when Dedra said that. I laughed a little "Hey Dedra do you where Tod was during the summer?" She placed her hand on her hip "At some stupid writers camp. Why whats it to you?" I nodded and laughed a little more. "So was i. Did you also know that Tod has been cheating on you?" Her face became stone "No he didn't." She spat at me.

"OH BUT HE DID! WITH ME! HE WAS SNUGGLED UP TO ME ALL SUMMER, TALKING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE HATED YOU!" She shook her head in disbelief. "Oh but its so true." I looked back at Tod who had wide eyes. "Tell her about us till i broke up with you a few days ago!" i said pointing at Dedra. "Look I'm sorry Dedra." He said. The whole hall erupted with talk. I looked at her as she looked around trying to hold in her sobs. Its odd i felt bad for her, even if she deserved it. She walked over to Tod and kicked him in his side "I FUCKING HATE YOU!" She shouted and ran away.

That oddly telling Dedra wasn't as satisfying as i thought it would be. I guess i know how it feels to be the ass of everybody's joke. Nobody deserved it, not even Dedra. I was brought out of my thoughts because i felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see Alfie "Are you ok?" I nodded. "Look what i said about me and t-" He cut me off. "We will talk about this later." He sounded upset so i nodded not wanting to anger him further.