Chapter 1

flash back 3 months earlier

"but mom I don't wanna go!" I was referring to a camp that my step dad told my mother to send me away this summer. "Avery we don't have a choice. just go ok?" I looked at her and nodded and got outh the car. "Ill be back in a few weeks. love you!" she shouted out the window. I waved and walked in past the gate.

I was somewhere in new Mexico at a writer enhancer camp. Yay! I mean don't get me wrong, I love writing. I want to be a writer when I graduate high school. But a camp full of people trying in enhance their writing is just not my cup of tea. although I was happy these kids didn't know me. at my school I was the target of daily humiliation. because of this I never really made a friend, maybe here I could make a friend for the first time.

but all my hopes were crushed when my eyes locked with Tod. Tod was the most popular guy at my school. He was one of the many kids who made my life hell. but what was he doing at a writing camp. j saw he's feet start making their way in my direction. I wasn't gonna let him ruin camp for me too. I dashed for the counselling center. to my luck not a soul was in sight. just then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I spun around only to look up and my green and brown eyes to lock eyes with Tod's icy blue one. "Hey Avery." his voice brought fear to me.

"Tod I don't want any trouble. just please let me be." He searched my eyes for a moment. then a smile spread on his face. "I love your eyes." I was confused. "Avery I'm not gonna hurt you, I like you to much." This was the same guy who sat with his girlfriend Dedra, and called my fat, dumb, ugly, and whore. "Why are you being nice to me?" the smile wiped off his face. "I never meant to hurt you." I rolled my eyes and tried to walk away only to have him grab my wrist. "Avery please just give me a chance. I wanna make it up to you." I walked close to him and looked in his eyes looking for deceit, which i couldn't find. "ok. ill give you one chance."

flash back end

My parents took my bothers to get their hair cut for their first day of high school tomorrow, so Tod and i were in my bedroom. We were cuddling and talking about our writing. "Avery?" He said lifting me up so i was eye level with him. "I don't want to hurt you, but tomorrow we cant be together." I sighed because i knew this was going to happen. "You wanna brake up with me, of course." I got up but Tod pulled me back down on the bed. "I don't want to brake up, just keep us quite. Is that ok?" I wanted to say no, but i didn't want to lose Tod. "Yes. Of course its fine." He pressed his lips to my cheek to thank me. Then i heard the screech of breaks in the driveway. "Time to go babe!" He siad and i drug him over to the window and opened it. He climbed out and pecked my lips before climbing into the tree next to my window.

"AVERY!" My step dad shouted as he opened my door. I spun around to meet his evil glare. He scanned my room then walked towards me. He pushed me aside causing me it hit the floor. He looked out my window looking around. He come back in and looked at me then left the room. I stood and looked out the window to find Tod gone. I smiled and got in bed and went off the sleep.

~

I was walking to school as i normally do, but with my two brothers. We were walking minding our own business when a blue convertible pulled up next to us. I looked over to see Tod and Dedra in her car. "If it isn't Avfeak!" She said driving slowly keeping our pace. "Dedra come on we have better things to do." I looked at Tod who was looking at me with sorry written on his face. I rolled my eyes and kept walking. "Come on Aidan and Jayden. Ignore them." I heard her cackle "Aw their cute! What happened to you?" I stopped walking and looked into the car. "Look leave us the fuck alone." He held up her hand like a claw "Raw! Avfreak has gotten catty over the summer!" I laughed "That's not the only thing i got." i said under my breath. I heard Tod laugh too. The Dedra sped off in front of me causing mud to fly all over my cloths. "Avery!" Aidan yelled wiping the mud off with his hand. "I'm fine. lets go guys!" I said storming off ahead of them.

~

The rest of school was hell like always. I was greeted by the word Avfreak written on my locker, original right? But all that washed away because i was going to my favorite class, English. It was a class i knew i was good at and my favorite teacher Mr.Black was teaching it. He never let the other kids pick on me or do stupid shit to me. I walked in and sat in the desk closest to the teachers desk and waited. Kids started coming as it got closer to the bell rigging. Tod and Dedra walked in hand in hand and sat in the back, we avoided eye contact. The the bell rang with no sigh of Mr.Black. 

The a man not to older than us walked in and sat his keys on the desk. He was wearing jeans, a white button up, and a black blazer over it. He smiled at the class showing his teeth, which were quite nice if i must say. He had black patch in his mess of brown hair. Altogether he didn't look to bad. He turned and wrote Mr.Deyes on the board and turned to look at the class. "Hello class I'm your new English teacher Mr.Deyes." suddenly I didn't miss Mr.Black anymore.