nightmares

The plane ride back was quiet. The whole team had fallen asleep, yet JJ stayed awake. She tapped Spencer's shoulder causing him to jolt up quickly from his nap. "Jen, Jennifer?" he asked rubbing his eyes to see her beside him on the couch. "Sorry Spence." she said sighing. "No, no you're all good. After all these naps might disrupt my average sleeping schedule. What's wrong?" he asked grabbing hold of her hand. "I don't know," she said exhaling through her nose. "I guess I just wanted to be with you. I can't sleep for some reason." she said sighing. "Jaydge," he said sitting up on the couch, patting the empty spot next to him on the couch. "Spence, remember when you were having nightmares? How, how'd you get through them." she asked biting her lip to hold back the tears. "JJ, honey," he said softly pulling her into a tight hug. She grabbed his shoulder as tears fell from her eyes onto his cardigan. She let go and wiped her tears away from her eyes. "Every time I close my eyes I see him. I see him, and I see you. I see you fall to the ground. And I see him being shot, and I see you hurt, and I see you being shot, earlier in the original New York City case. I can't sleep Spence. The events in New York made me realize how much I love you, and what happens if I lose you." she said sniffling. He wrapped his arm around her neck and kissed her forehead as she wept. He rubbed her back and rocked her back and forth gently while whispering to her. "You can get through this. You need to sleep. I've been there. For almost a year after Tobias kidnapped me I could barely sleep. Whenever I closed my eyes I would see him. But not his father, I saw Tobias. I watched the life leave his body. Tobias was a good man. He saved my life. I know how you feel. Fight it. You're stronger than your nightmares." he said running his fingers through her blonde hair. She tried to smile as she whispered "Thanks." to him quietly. He nodded his head and pat her back. She got up to return to her seat as he grabbed her hand and pulled her close to him. "Stay here with me JJ. The nightmares, I'm having them too." he whispered sniffling quietly. She frowned and then nodded her head. He laid on the small couch with his back against it. She laid in front of him as she rested her head on his chest. He wrapped his arms around her waist as the two fell asleep peacefully, dreaming not of nightmares, but of each other.