twenty-eight

Noelle

Damien shuts off the engine and turns to face me. "Last chance to change your mind."

"Nope, I'm not changing my mind. I'm going to work." He reaches out for my hand, and our fingers intertwine. He looks worried. "Damien, please don't worry. I'll only be there for a few hours to help them out. I'm sure they'll let me leave at midnight."

He sighs and closes his eyes. When he opens them, he forces a smile. "I just really don't like the idea of you working around drunk men and criminals."

"Don't be silly. I've been working there for three years, and nothing ever happens. I'll be fine."

"I'm picking you up at midnight. I don't care what they say, you're leaving with me then."

"Ugh, so bossy." "Noelle, I'm serious. That place doesn't look safe. Jesus..." Well, he's right.

 "I don't understand why you need to have two jobs. Isn't working as a social worker enough? You don't need to work at that lousy bar."

"I love you so much." His concern for me fills my belly with butterflies the size of airplanes. But I can't back out now. "They gave me a job when I moved here. It helped me through college. Helping out here and there— I owe it to them."

"Okay, okay." He rubs his face with both hands, looking frustrated. "Fine. Just... Be safe, okay?"

"I'm just going to be serving some beers. I'm not going to fight criminals, Damien." He shakes his head before kissing me softly.

"You know exactly what I meant," he whispers against my lips.

"Yes." I sigh. "See you later." I kiss him one last time before stepping out of the car.

"Bye, baby!" He calls out as he drives away, leaving me standing there on the sidewalk. I watch him until he's out of sight, then turn around and walk in the direction of the bar. I immediately regret my decision when I see two drunk men stumbling out of the bar, but it's too late now. I place my hand on the door handle and take a deep breath, preparing myself for what's to come.

"Here we go again," I whisper.

"Oh girl, you look miserable," Angie says as she joins me in the kitchen. I take a sip of my water and yawn. "I forgot how exhausting it is to work here." It's almost midnight, and I feel like I've been awake for thirty hours.

"Yeah, you haven't been here for a while. You're out of shape."

"Ha, thanks." She laughs, takes the plate full of nachos, and jumps onto the counter.

 "You know what I mean," she says with her mouth full.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." I snatch one of her nachos and leave the kitchen to get back to work.

Just 15 minutes. I can do this. "Where have you been, Noelle? Go fucking back to work," George, the bar chef, snarls. Oh, how I missed him.

"Sorry, I was just..."

"I don't care. Just get your skinny ass to that table over there. They've been here for 10 minutes and haven't ordered yet."

"On it." What a prick.

When I reach the table, the two men completely ignore me. I have to repeat myself three times before I finally have their attention. Idiots.

"What can I get you?"

"Oh, I know a lot of things I'd want from you," the blonde guy slurs. Oh, isn't this awesome.

"Yeah, right." I try to be friendly, but... Well, it's hard. "What can I get you to drink?" I try again.