two

Chapter 2

Damien

earlier today

''Finn, do you really think this is a good idea?'' I ask him, taking a sip of my beer. We've been sitting together for about an hour, going over the details for tonight.

I still can't believe how this happened. I've never really considered sharing my paintings with the public, but here I am, planning my first gallery opening.

I met Finn two years ago when I opened my third club in New York. He handled the PR and happened to see one of my paintings in my office. One thing led to another, and now he's determined to convince me that selling my paintings is a great idea. Truth be told, I never painted them with the intention of making money someday. It was more of a way to de-stress after long hours at the club, a way to escape and find solace.

In all the time I've known Finn, he's told me numerous stories about his best friend Noelle. Yet, I've never had the chance to meet her. That's about to change tonight.

However, I have reservations about this meeting. Not because I don't think I'll like her. It's quite the opposite, actually. I've never heard someone speak so highly of another person. He loves her, there's no doubt about it.

I believe him when he says she's amazing. And to top it all off, she's stunningly attractive. I mean, really, really attractive. She's the kind of person you have wet dreams about. Finn once showed me some pictures of her on his phone, and let's just say it took a great deal of self-control not to reveal what I truly thought when I saw her in a barely-there bikini at the beach.

To put it simply, I found myself developing a small crush on her just from Finn's stories.

I don't understand why I always seem to attract shallow individuals who lack substance. I can't complain about the attention they give me without me even saying a word, but their vapid conversations, their constant attempts to flirt whenever they see me, their lack of self-respect as they throw themselves at me—it all becomes tiresome and unfulfilling.

It's become monotonous.

A quick fuck here and there may temporarily satisfy a man's desires, but anything more than that? Not with any woman I've encountered so far.

Honestly, I don't know what scares me more—finding out that Noelle is actually the incredible woman Finn has painted in my mind, or discovering that she's just like all the others.

Either way, it would ruin the friendship Finn and I have built over the years.

''Stop being such a coward. You're 25 years old—grow a backbone. Tonight's the night. I'm going to tell her half an hour before we have to leave that I can't make it, but she still has to go because she's already dressed up. So she'll go alone, and then you'll show up, all artsy and well-mannered, and you'll fall in love and live happily ever after. I'm a genius, and you can thank me later. Maybe name your firstborn after me or something.'' He grins at me mischievously.

Yep, he's completely lost it. I bet she won't even show up, or if she does, she'll be so angry that she won't talk to anyone.

''You're insane, you know that, right? Why would you even think we're a good match? You know me, you know her? This won't work. Besides, what do you think will happen if she finds out we know each other? What if she discovers you planned all of this?''

He pauses for a moment, then bursts into laughter.

''From the moment I laid eyes on you, I knew you two were destined to be together.'' Yes, he's definitely gone off the deep end.