40. "Are You Ready?"

The moment I got back from my session with Dr. Bagley, the reality had set in. No call from Sam or Dean, so they were still out rescuing Adam. I'd told Bobby about my session, and he was proud to hear it.

Now, here I was, at night, back to my worried state of mind. I didn't know how Bobby kept his worry hidden, I showed mine easily. I bit down on my nails but never tore them off. I was getting to that point though. Every minute I didn't hear from the brothers, my worry grew. Well, could anyone blame me? The very people who took me off the streets, my adopted family I guess you could say, was going up against some serious firepower by the name of Zachariah.

I hoped they got Adam out okay, and I hoped they all came out alive. But I wouldn't know a thing until I got the call. I had good news to tell them when they'd come back.

The hours went by, and eventually I was the only one awake in the house. Bobby had went to bed a while ago. Lucky him.

I sat on the cot, with my phone beside me. I kept my eyes on the window, eyes flitting to each junker I could spot in the scrap yard. I smiled fondly as I remembered I told Sam my life story a few months ago. How I was so open with him. He'd deserved to know. I wonder if Dean knows. I never exactly swore Sam to secrecy. I bit my lip.

If anyone outside of Sam knew, they never came forward about it yet.

My fingers ran along my phone. How long did it take to get to this place? I didn't recall the Winchesters ever saying where Adam was being held. It had to be out of state, I would have had a call a long time ago if it hadn't.

I exhaled loudly in the dark, leaning my head against the window. For some reason, I didn't feel vulnerable right now. Maybe it was because I knew Bobby's place was the safest for me right now. Maybe it was because I felt a newfound strength after my therapy session.

I forced my eyes to stay open. I didn't want to knock out and miss the call. They had to come back. We'd all be goners if we lost the Winchesters. But Cas was going to meet them there, so their chances have to be good. But remembering what Cas told me about his limited powers, I wasn't sure how big of help he would really be.

I never checked the time on my phone, because I knew if I did, minutes would only pass, not hours, or even half hours. My nail lightly scratched the window. I kept myself in a tight ball.

First came the loud vibration that nearly made me wake up Bobby. Then my phone lit up, making my eyes almost squint shut. With slow limbs, I grabbed it.

"Sam?" I yawned.

"What, no traditional 'hey,' at least?" he teased.

I laughed. "How'd it go? Did you get Adam out?"

"About that...Things didn't work out like we'd hoped."

I rubbed my face. "He's dead, isn't he?"

"We don't know, Kota."

"What do you mean you don't know?" I shifted on the cot.

"We tried to get him out, but Michael was coming, and we couldn't get the door to open..." He sighed. "And Cas went MIA because he sent all the angel guards away, including himself."

"I don't think I want to know how he managed that," I said quickly. "But you and Dean are okay, right? In one piece still?"

"As in one piece as we can be. Look, we may not make it back right away, Dean looks about ready to pass out—"