33. Detox

33. Detox

The first thing we did following the thing with Famine was return to Bobby's, where I ate a normal meal to get myself back under control. I ate alone; Dean, Sam, and Cas recounted what went on to Bobby.

I was just finishing when I saw the trio disappear somewhere. I decided to tail them.

"You don't want to do that, Dakota." I stopped at hearing Bobby's voice.

I turned to him. "Why not?"

"How much do you know about Sam's issue with demon blood?"

"A little bit. Why?" I looked briefly to where the trio disappeared to. "What's going on, Bobby?"

"It's another detox process. Not the best way to handle this, but it's the only way."

"Bobby." My voice was a bit desperate. "What's going to happen to Sam?"

"He's going to get the blood out of his system. We're holding him down in the basement for a little while until things settle down. I built a panic room that's held up against his first detox. We know what to expect with the second."

"H-how long does it take for it to get out of his system?" I crossed my arms.

"A few days. But the days are hard on all of us, Dakota, if I'll be honest with you." He scratched his head. "Don't say I didn't warn you if you still plan to go down there."

At least he gave me a warning. At least I wouldn't have to find out from Cas and Dean the hard way.

I found the basement door and made my presence known by heavily stomping. Fortunately, for me, they hadn't put Sam in yet and locked him in. Three pairs of eyes acknowledged my presence. I made a beeline straight for Sam, hugging him, because I knew it was going to be a long few days for all of us. He hugged me back tight in response.

When Sam let me go, he backed into the room. I tried to go after him but he stopped me.

"You don't need to be in here, Kota," he said calmly. I could see the fear in his eyes, the pain. He wanted me with him, I could see it.

"But—"

"He's right," Dean sided. "He can't have anyone in there with him." I looked at Dean with fearful gray eyes. Bobby never went into specifics as to what Sam went through when it came to demon blood detox.

Sam's eyes and mine didn't disconnect until the metal door closed entirely and Dean locked it. I rubbed the back of my neck nervously.

"So now we wait?" I asked quietly.

"Let's get some ground rules in before things escalate," Dean said paternally. "You can hang around outside the panic room, but, under no circumstances are you to go in there unless he's fully detoxed. No trying to sneak in. No trying to bust him out while he's still recovering. Got it?"

"Yes, sergeant," I mumbled.

"I mean it, Dak. Don't make me end up having to lock you up in a room myself. And don't make me call Cas to come haul your ass away either."

I swallowed. "Duly noted. So, now what?"

"We let time do its thing."

* * *

I didn't linger long in the basement after my stern talking to from Dean. He and Cas remained downstairs for a while. I kept to myself for the most part, sort of unwilling to talk to Bobby. Cupid's words kept running around in my head. Sam and me, destined to be together? Yes, there was attraction, but we knew better. I also kept in mind what Dean had forewarned me about. Whatever feelings Sam and I had for each other, we needed to keep them at bay. Better yet, lock them up and throw the key into the ocean was a more accurate description.