34. What Heaven Wants, Heaven Gets

Cas was the guard dog for only that one night. The days after, Dean kept watch over me. At times, he left me alone, and after some more time, he knew that I wasn't going to break Sam out of the panic room. I wanted to though, I really wanted to.

The detox got so much worse as the days went by. It seemed the worst at night. I felt it the most at night. When I wasn't doing anything else, I spent it down there with Sam. I talked to him through the door in hopes that I could help ease his pain a little. His screams told me my success wasn't there, but there were times that he was quiet, which almost scared me into thinking something was wrong. Listening closely, though, he was only asleep. I didn't know how. He probably exhausted himself too much. When he slept was about the most peaceful time in the detoxing process.

I wasn't sure if this took a toll on me or Dean the most. Bobby was in mild discomfort, but it was different for Dean and I. Dean had gone through this before, he knew what was going on. If he saw anything, he wasn't going to tell me. Maybe it was better that he kept his thoughts to himself on that.

Sam's detox actually extended into a week, with days five and six being the better days. On those days, I was able to sleep semi-comfortably downstairs against the door. Though Sam mumbled in his sleep from time to time, it beat him screaming in pain or begging to be let out as though someone was in there torturing him.

Bobby, Dean, and I had all discussed when to let Sam out. Naturally, I vouched to have him out sooner than either of the men liked.

Today marked day eight of Sam's detox. I'd wanted him to be out yesterday, but I was outvoted; Dean and Bobby insisted that we gave it another day to be absolutely sure. I had no choice but to agree with it.

I woke up feeling extremely cold on the eighth morning. I smiled faintly noticing the blanket and pillow I received. I guess Dean was getting tired of having to carry me upstairs. I wrapped the blanket tight around me and grabbed the pillow before clumping up the stairs.

I yawned mutely, shuffling into the kitchen. It seemed I was the first one up. My eyes flitted to see Dean passed out on the couch. I continued my walk into the kitchen, rummaging around to see what I could conjure up. I needed something to wake me up. Having the goal of not trying to burn down the place sounded like a pretty alert task for me to take on.

I didn't make a big breakfast, just the simple eggs and toast. I made extra portions in hopes that Sam could be let out today. If Dean and Bobby pushed the date back even further, I was seriously going to be pissed.

I made sure to put on a pot of coffee too in case anyone wanted that. A few of us took some here and there, but it wasn't often.

"Couldn't sleep?" a voice groggily said.

"Oh, I did. I just need something to do," I replied as I watched the eggs. "Take some coffee, it's there for a reason."

"You know, it's actually nice to have someone making food. Beats having to scavenge and get something out all the time." From the corner of my eye, I saw Dean shift around to find a mug. "You expecting an army, Dak?"

"Hm?"

"That's a lot of eggs."

"You guys eat a lot," I half lied. "I have to make some extra. Besides, I know how much you like to eat." I smiled thinly.

"Uh-huh," he said skeptically. I heard the coffee being poured. "You sure there's no ulterior motive?"

"Like what?"