15. Hunter 101

15. Hunter 101

I was consciously aware that the car was moving under me. I groaned inwardly and stretched. I picked my head up and looked in the rearview mirror. My hair didn't look too bad, barely ruffled. My body felt heavy, as did my eyes.

Why couldn't I just fall back asleep?

"Oh, good, you're up."

"Morning." I yawned. My nose detected an odor. "Do I smell food?" I looked in the backseat.

"At your feet, Dakota. I was going to put it in your lap, but—"

"You figured the floor was better?" I reached down to pull food out of a small box. I pried open one of the bags and pulled out a bagel breakfast sandwich and a small thing of milk. "I'm guessing you ate already."

"I did."

I downed a little of the milk first, wiping the moustache off my top lip. "Thank you, for this."

"Think of it as a thank you for being here for me."

I barely managed a smile, partially because I didn't want food falling out of my mouth. "Well, that's what friends are for, Sammy. And I really don't have a choice in this anymore, so I'm stuck with you."

"That's not such a bad thing," he told me modestly.

"You know what is, though?" I bit into the sandwich. It was car temperature, barely warm. At least it wasn't cold. "I have no hunting supplies, let alone proper training."

"You want to become a hunter?"

"I want to learn some basics. Since this apocalypse has started, I'll need to step up my game. No more strictly research. I'll be thrown into battle." I took another swig of milk. "God, I almost forgot what milk tasted like!"

"Just how long have you been living like that, Dakota? On your own?"

I let my breakfast settle a little bit. Sam wanted to bring this up again now? "A little while now." I swallowed another bite of sandwich. "We've been over this, Sam."

"Not in great detail."

"That's because I don't want to talk about it."

"All right, then maybe this is something you'll want to talk about: we're meeting up with Dean."

I looked at him. "When did this happen?"

"While you were sleeping. We're on our way there now."

"Gee, you didn't think to tell me this first hand, Sam? You might as well have just waited until I saw the Impala!"

"You're cranky."

I rolled my eyes. "So, he called you?"

"Yeah."

"I wonder what changed his mind."

"Don't know. Keep eating."

"Don't do anything to make me lose my breakfast in any way."

Sam almost laughed.

* * *

After another hour or two of driving, the Impala and its driver were in sight. Sam slowed the car down to a gentle halt then cut the engine. Out of my window, I could see we were near a bridge. Sam and I both got out of the car. I lingered towards the back, letting the brothers approach each other.