17. Wellington, Ohio

A case involving a pagan god, another involving a little half-human half-demon little boy, and a case involving gambling your years in a game of Poker took us through the end of September, through October, and into November.

Needless to say out of the past three cases, I'd gotten my feet wet with all three of them. So far, the most memorable was where Dean had foolishly gambled so many years against a witch. He'd been deemed "Grandpa Dean" and many more names during that time. Though, for as old as he looked, he was still pretty quick with his comebacks to me. Thankfully, those years were given back to him, and we no longer had to worry about him losing breath after going up a single flight of stairs.

So now, we found ourselves in Wellington, Ohio. It wasn't long before we caught scent of a case. We were prepping in the motel room, I was putting the finishing touches. I made sure everything was straightened out and looking perfect. Today's persona was an FBI agent. Just putting on that act made me feel more like thirty instead of twenty-six.

I examined myself. I looked pretty business-like, not to mention older. Too bad I couldn't hide the bags under my eyes, as I hadn't had the chance to buy some concealer. Nobody ever said anything to me, so I was the only one who really cared about the bags right now. I could thank lack of sleep and a lot of road tripping for that.

I can hear the TV going on through the bathroom door. No doubt Dean was trying to sneak in some TV before we had to take off. I wondered how far back this went for the brothers, the fake IDs and fake identities. How were they ever not caught? They could have been before, I probably don't know it.

I popped out of the bathroom, flattening everything one more time. I saw my heels beside one of the beds. I huffed as I stared the devils down. I hated wearing heels, but they looked too nice to not give in to buying. I regretted them the first time I put them on; I nearly broke my ankle.

My eyes went to the TV. Whatever show Dean had on was strange. It looked like some medical show, judging by the white lab coat and the nurse in blue scrubs. I wrinkled my nose as they got into the elevator and began to make out the moment the doors started to close.

"What are you watching?" I asked in mild disgust.

"Hospital show," Dean said. "Doctor Sexy, MD. I think it's based on a book."

"When did you hit menopause?" Sam teased.

"It's called channel surfing." Dean shut off the TV and got off the bed. Sam went to grab his jacket from the other bed and shrugged it on. "You guys ready?"

"Are you?" I retorted.

Dean grabbed the keys, and we all exited the motel room.

* * *

"One more time," said the officer, "the FBI is here why, exactly?"

"Might have something to do with one of your locals getting his head ripped off," Dean replied.

"Bill Randolph died from a bear attack."

"How sure are you that it was a bear?" I asked.

"What else would it be?"

"Well, whatever it was," Dean said, "it chased Mr. Randolph through the woods, smashed through his front door, followed him up the stairs, and killed him in his bedroom. Is that common, a bear doing all that?"