3. Intrusion

3. Intrusion

I can always sneak into an empty room and bunk there for the night. Maybe I'll get a few days out of staying there. But I had other issues. I was still going to need new clothes, need a washer and dryer to use to get the clothes smelling fresh. And there was the matter of scoring some cash so I couldn't be detected.

I almost felt like I was putting Sam in danger, by walking with him. A cop car had drove by us, and I turned my face away so the police wouldn't see. I knew Sam had watched me from the corner of his eye, but he didn't say anything to me.

I adjusted the strap of my backpack on my shoulder. Though it was a simple black backpack and looked massive, it was very light. All I had in there were clothes that surprisingly didn't smell yet. They should have a laundromat somewhere close by. I'll have to do some digging when we get there.

"So...you ended up here," Sam tried to break the silence.

"Yeah. I found a nice college here, and everybody seemed intent on following me down." A faint smile touched my lips at the memory.

"How is your family anyway?"

"Fine." I tried my hardest to sound normal.

"Why can't you go back home?"

"It's complicated." I blew out air noisily. My eyes fell to the sidewalk. "Things have gotten a lot tougher since high school, Sam. I didn't realize being an adult would be such a big pain in the ass."

"That's life for you."

"You still never answered my question, about why you're in town."

I lost Sam at that. I wrinkled my nose in frustration. I should have known that he wouldn't open up like he used to. Time had changed both of us, caused us to become entirely different people than we knew the other to be in high school.

After a while, we approached the Regent Inn Motel. It looked pretty desolate with the lack of cars in the parking lot. I did notice the famous '67 Impala in one of the parking slots.

"Your dad hand it down to you?" I asked.

"What?"

I nodded. "The car."

"Oh. No, that's Dean's."

"Still looks like how I remember it." We passed by the old car, which didn't look aged at all. What I wouldn't give to at least have a car with me. Don't even think about trying to hotwire that thing. Sam graciously paid for your dinner, don't stab him in the back by stealing his brother's car. I couldn't help it, the survivalist in me had a hard time of shutting itself up when I wanted it to.

We passed a few rooms, all either vacant or occupied. I stopped at one of the rooms, peeking into one of the windows. I heard Sam open the next door over on my right. From the corner of my eye, I saw him run inside his room. I dropped my bag and ran right after him.

I skidded to a halt as I took in the scene in the tiny room.

There were four people: three men, one woman. An older gentleman who looked like he belonged in the woods (in a good way, not a homeless way) was on the floor, a dark-red wet spot forming on his stomach. The knife was still lodged in him. The one man held another one down as the woman pummeled the other man.

"No!" Sam yelled.

This got the woman's attention. Sam moved inward, I remained in the doorway. The two men continued to wrestle around on the floor. I rushed for the bleeding older man on the floor, but a force sent me flying backwards into Sam. He helped me steady on my feet.