47.5 - "Do We Have A Deal?"

47.5 – "Do We Have A Deal?"

The second time around was much better than the first. I was sober, and I was definitely with the right guy this time. I wasn't going to wake up the next morning with any qualms. I wasn't going to have any bad news come my way.

I had my head in the pillows, with Sam over me, stroking my hair. I smiled goofily at him. I felt like I was back to my freshman year of college. I learned quickly that academics and a social life clashed pretty badly. I had been out of control, going to parties I was invited to and ones that I wasn't invited to. Yes, even a scholarly girl like me had to get out and breathe. By the end of that year, I had gotten a better grip on my life.

We shared slow kisses, with me holding Sam's face. I was very grateful that this turned into something wonderful. We needed something positive right now, even if it was brief.

"I never took you for being wild," Sam whispered. I'd shared some tidbits about my pre-demon past.

"Oh yeah." I laughed. "I got a little carried away sometimes. Don't look at me like that, it's true! Don't tell me you haven't had your one night stands." I eyed him expectantly.

"I never said that."

"Uh-huh. But I never struck you as the type. Figured that'd be more up your brother's alley."

"He ever tell you of my track record with women?" Sam looked almost afraid to ask me that.

"Um. No." I frowned. "We don't need to tell who we've been with, unless that's something you're open to sharing." At this, he looked relieved. "This is our night, Sam. You know"—I let out a tired groan as he aggravated old marks—"anything is possible. And I know hunters deserve something better than this than any people I've ever known..."

"Shh." Sam silenced my mouth with his. "Focus on us, Kota."

"I am, if you'll let me speak." My brows creased. "This world can throw us lots of curveballs. I want it to give us one in our favor."

Sam collapsed near me on the bed; I turned on my side, pulling the sheets up on me.

"If I leave—"

"When."

I blew out a raspberry. "Fine. When I leave, if, by some godly miracle, you find yourself out of Hell and back on Earth, you keep on hunting. I don't care how badly you want something normal. If your brother and Bobby are still kicking out there, you should be with them. I will never ask you to choose family over me.

"But the moment you retire, I want you to come find me. I don't care how many years that is from then, I don't care where I'll be or who I'll be with. I just want you to come find me so that I know you made it. I want to see living proof that you paid your dues and are going to live your life like we normal people do."

"Kota, you can't say that."

"I can't say what?"

"That you're normal." He threw me a teasing grin.

"Not my point, Sam," I retorted playfully. "Point is, if I don't see you, I'll know what happened. If I do see you, well..." I bit my lip. "We'll figure out that bridge when we come to it."

"Look, no matter how this turns out, I want you away from this stuff. All of it." He cradled my face.

"So, our bargain: I leave, no matter what. And if you come out of Hell and retire from the business, you come find me."