51. Out with the Old, In with the New

I crashed on the way back to Bobby's in the Impala's backseat. I was able to spread out, which made it more comfortable. But there was a heavy air in the car, one that didn't allow music to ease it any. Missing one usual passenger would do that. The Impala felt emptier without him.

I didn't see Cas after the incident in Stull Cemetery.

There was a heavy air at Bobby's once we got back. It seemed like the mood clung to our clothes once we left the cemetery. The reason was obvious. Not long after we got back, I had immediately gone into my research mode, finding some family I could hunker down with. There was nothing left for me with these hunters. I made a deal with Sam: no matter the outcome, I was to leave this life behind and find a new one. Start over.

It didn't take long for me to find an aunt and uncle to take me in. They were very close with my family, as my aunt was my mom's sister. Their children were around my age, but a few years younger. They just got done college, so it'd be a full house, but they were more than understanding to let me stay with them.

The trouble was, they didn't live in South Dakota. Thankfully, they didn't live in Lawrence, Kansas. It turned out that they lived in Nebraska, which was only a state away from where Bobby's place was. So, after I told Bobby and Dean of my plan, Dean offered to take me to my aunt's place. I wasn't too surprised by the offer, not as much as I would have been had this come up months ago, back when I barely knew the Winchesters.

It seemed like the both of us had packed; the Impala was pretty full, with what I had—which wasn't much—stuck in the backseat. I was in shotgun, with the window halfway down. We'd headed out early this morning, saying our goodbyes to Bobby. I had to admit, I was going to miss the old man. He seemed like a good guy, a cool one too. I wondered how awesome he would have been had the hunter life not found him. I could picture him being the idolized grandfather, uncle, or even father.

Thanks to GPS directions, Dean was able to navigate to my new home fairly easily. When we encountered traffic, we were calm and collected about it. When one was looking at the other, the other would catch them in the act. There wasn't really an awkward air in the Impala, it was something different. Something neither of us could place.

Once we were about twenty minutes away, I noticed the change in scenery. There were a lot of small towns. This is going to be good for me. I'm starting over. I have my degree in teaching. Maybe I can find a job here. Too bad I couldn't prove that since all my belongings burned in the demon-made fire that was set on my house. I could always call the college and arrange something. Surely they wouldn't be douchebags and not cooperate with me.

I felt like the Impala stood out as we remained on the road. After long roads, some turns, and some asshole drivers, Dean pulled up along the sidewalk and parked just in front of the house. My new home.

It was two stories, with two windows up and downstairs from what I could see. It was painted an off-white color which I wasn't fond off, but who was I to judge? I'd come to learn to love it anyway. I saw a garage door closed, and one car parked just in front of the closed door. How many cars do they own?

"Home sweet home," Dean said as the engine was cooling down from the drive. "Doesn't look like a bad deal, Dak."

"Not at all," I murmured as I absently climbed out and shut the door. I heard Dean get out from his side too. I leaned against the Impala, taking in my new place. It wasn't Maryland nor my home, but it would work for now. Once I got a foundation started, I would find my footing on my own someplace else.