14. Late Night Getaway

Needless to say Sam and I didn't hang around long in Oklahoma after Lucifer's visit to our motel room. Now, I was expecting another night or two in the motel. We didn't get another twenty-four hours in since Sam was so keen on hightailing it out of here.

I had no idea where we were heading, I didn't think either of us were sure. I sat shotgun in the car, with Sam at the wheel. He looked like he was tiring, but he was fighting his hardest to stay awake. I was running on fumes at this point, and I definitely showed it.

"We could have been proper guests and left in the morning," I said through a yawn.

"Did you grab everything? I'm not turning back now."

"Yeah, yeah, I got everything." I yawned loudly again.

I looked at the car's dashboard. It was sometime after four in the morning. I rubbed my eyes. Like I said, I could have left in the morning with a proper night's rest. Not that I assumed I would have gotten a proper sleep tonight, what with the Devil showing up in our room in the middle of the night disguised as Sam's dead girlfriend.

"Think we can stop for food somewhere?" I asked tiredly.

"Dakota, do you know what time it is?"

"I'm not saying now, I'm saying for later."

"You want to use your money already?"

"Hey, hey, who said I would be paying in full for food?" I raised an eyebrow. "You need to sleep, Sam."

"Sleep isn't a luxury I've been able to afford for some time, Dakota. I'm used to running on a few hours."

I looked at him oddly. "Don't make me turn maternal on you, Sam."

"I don't think you'll be awake long enough to. Just knock out. I promise I won't get us in an accident."

"Mm, sure." I leaned back in the seat. "You know...Dean should know about this."

"Why don't you call him, then?"

"Good idea. I don't trust you having a phone in your hand while driving. Gah." I cringed away from the bright light as I broke into Sam's phone. I found his contacts and scrolled until I found his brother's name. I made sure to put it on speaker as the phone dialed. "You think he'll answer this late?"

"Damn it, Cas, I need to sleep!" came Dean's groggy voice.

"That answer your question?" Sam asked. "Dean, it's me."

"Sam? It's quarter past four."

"This is important."

"Tinkerbell still with you?"

"It's Dakota, and yes, I am." I closed my eyes but forced them back open. "Nice to hear from you too, Dean. I didn't realize I u-upgraded to a Disney fairy now."

"Start talking or I hang up."

"Okay, okay. Lucifer dropped by."

I almost thought Dean fell asleep on the other end, but it was just shock silence. "Say that again."

"The Devil's been hanging around for a few days. How he found us, we aren't sure."

"He must've used you."

"No, he didn't," Sam voiced. "He wasn't aware that Dakota was with me until tonight."

"Well, that's just swell."