24. Down, But Not Out

"She still hasn't...?" I heard someone ask.

"No." I knew this voice belonged to Ellen.

Was I dead? Did the rest of our party meet a gory end, like I had? I wouldn't have been surprised if Jo and I had died first. We had been used as chew toys.

"You think she will?"

"I don't know. She looks like she's still hanging on. But she's got to wake if she's got any chance of surviving."

My eyes had bricks on them; they weren't cooperating with me. I moved my head slightly, feeling severe throbbing through my limbs. I whimpered softly. Feet came right for me.

"Kota?" I now recognized the voice as Sam. "Kota..."

I had a muffled groan rise out of my throat before I somehow got my eyes open. I smiled grimly. "Hey, Sam." I took a brief look around me. "Is this Heaven?"

"You're not dead," he told me firmly. "You were close, though."

"Mm." With his help, I sat up. I felt twinges in my back, but my shoulder was on fire. "Are we all still intact?"

"More or less."

"How bad?"

"Somehow you made out better than Jo did. Her wound is pretty bad, she's lost a lot of blood."

"Where is she?"

"Ellen's with her."

"And Dean?"

"He's talking with Bobby."

"How? We don't have signal."

"Dean found a way."

"He has his creative moments." I hissed. "Son of a bitch, that hurts."

"Come on, let's see how much you can still function."

With some high yelps out of me, and using Sam as a crutch, I got myself in a standing position. I hopped on one foot, scared to put my leg down on the ground. We hobbled over to Ellen and Jo.

Sam was right; Jo looked way worse than I did, and I got Hellhound marks in me in two different places. The bad lighting didn't help her complexion. The blood also drained the color from her. She looked battle-weary, like we all in did some form or another.