Chap. 20 ~ Golden Egg

Author's Note: Woah. 20 chapters. That's a milestone. *celebratory clap* And like I stated in my last update, I have a new story out that I would love for you guys to read called For the Love of Leo. Enjoy :)

Draco's POV

This stupid egg is about to be the death of me. Every time I open the bloody thing, all it does is scream and bust the ear drums of the entire common room. Out of frustration I threw the egg against the wall and it opened and started screeching again!

I collected my things, including that stupid egg, and headed towards the library. It was around 6, so I figured someone I know would be in there studying that could help me. To my luck, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were all sitting at a table in the back. I walked up behind my boyfriend and put my hands over his eyes, "Guess who," I said. Ron sighed and Hermione giggled a little bit.

"Hmm... Is it Krum?" Harry joked. Hermione hit him on the hand with a pencil, causing him to laugh then wink at her after I removed my hands, "What? I thought you two were in love." He said, still laughing. Ron scoffed and Hermione shot him a deadly glare.

I pulled up a chair and sat down, thumping the egg on the table along with me. "Still haven't figured it out," I said, leaning back in my seat. Hermione frowned and Harry sighed, looking a little worried. "I came here hoping to find something that might help me."

"We will do everything we can to help, babe," Harry said, kissing me on the cheek, "Alright, guys. Better get to it, eh?" he said walking off into the many rows of books. Ron and Hermione soon followed, as did I. I really am lucky to have such great people looking out for me, and that Ron and Hermione forgave me for being such a prat the first few years.

I followed Harry into the magical artifacts section and started searching through the shelves with him. We were about five minutes in when Ron came running up to us, "Guys! I think I might have found something!" he said gleefully. "So, you guys would agree that the sound that comes out of that bloody egg doesn't really sound human, right?" we both nodded our heads, "Then maybe we should try this!" he said, shoving a book happily, but forcefully, into my chest. I took hold of it and read the title. Magical Beasts and How To Recognize Them --(Can someone tell me how to bold, italicize, and what not when I'm writing on my computer. I haven't been able to figure it out since the update a while back. Thanks!)--

"This might actually be perfect, Ron." I said flipping through the pages. We took the book back to the table and started flipping through the pages, stopping every once in a while to read over the pages.

About fifteen minutes had passed and we still had no luck. I was about to give up and put the book back, then Hermione had an idea, "Guys!" She said jumping out of her seat, "It's a mermaid!"

We all looked dumbfounded. "What do you mean? Mermaids have beauti--" Harry began, but he was cut off by Hermione mid-sentence, "Beautiful voices, that's right!" she began, "But that's only under water! Everyone knows that they can't sing above water! How could I be so stupid as to not realize this before?" She exclaimed.

Ron mumbled, "Who is this 'everyone' that she's talking about."

Hermione shot him a deadly look, "I'm serious guys, this might be it. Try listening to the egg underwater, Draco."

"Alright. If you think this is going to work, I'll do it right now." I picked up the egg and started towards the bathroom. Harry followed.

"What do you think it will say?" Harry asked me, playing with my thumb as he held my hand in his.

"I'm not sure," I said. I turned on the faucet and let the sink fill up as much it would allow itself. "It could be anything." I placed the egg in the sink and opened it, anticipating to hear the blood curdling screech. Nothing happened except for a few bubbles floating up to the surface.

"Should you put your head under water with it?" Harry questioned.

I stood there for a second with a look of stupidity, "Ya' know, that might just work." I said. I closed the egg and put my face in the water just far enough for my ears to be covered. Hoping that this would work, and I wouldn't just hear more screaming, I re-opened the egg. This time, to my pleasure I heard the mesmerizing voices of the mermaids. I listened to their song three or four times before memorizing it enough to repeat it back to myself.

I came back up from the water, and Harry immediately asked me what I heard. I told him what I had heard, "Come seek us where our voices sound,

We cannot sing above the ground,

And while you're searching ponder this;

We've taken what you'll sorely miss,

An hour long you'll have to look,

And to recover what we took,

But past an hour, the prospect's black,

Too late, it's gone, it won't come back."

Harry stood there for a second thinking; he looked at me like he had just had a brilliant idea and said, "That means absolutely nothing to me." 

I glared at him then laughed, "I didn't expect anything more, babe." 

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?" He asked half joking, half offended. 

"Nothing. It's just that you can be kind of oblivious some times."

"OBLIVIOUS!? Me?! Pftt. Nahh." He said, knowing it was true. 

"Well, Mr. Potter," I said grabbing his hand, "We should probably report this back to the gang don't you think?" 

Harry smiled, "Okay first, don't ever call Ron and Hermione - or anyone for that matter- "gang". This is not scooby doo."

"Scooby- what?" I questioned. 

"Nevermind, it's a muggle thing. And secondly, yes, we should definitely report this back. But first, I need a kiss."  He said, leaning me and giving me a sweet kiss on the lips.