Bust A Move

Darren’s POV

One week later: The day before opening night

 “Aisha’s surprise: Part Three.”

 “Which is….?”

 Annie phoned me up and hadn’t even let me speak, just jumped right into it.

 “Weeelll, seen as its opening night tomorrow, Aisha told me that her parents weren’t able to fly out, but then they phoned me and said they wanted to surprise her.”

 “That’s so sweet! When are they flying out then?”

 “Tomorrow. About two hours before the show. The thing is…I can’t go and pick them up from the airport as Matt needs me all day tomorrow. Meaning, well, I was wondering if you could pick them up?”

 “Yeah, sure. I don’t know what they look like though…so that might be a problem.”

 “I’ll tell them who to wait for, they know who you are anyway so they can come and find you if you just wait at the Arrivals Gate.”

 “Okay, that’s fine. I’ll bring them straight to the studio so that they can see Aisha first.”

 “Yeah, that’d be great! See you tomorrow, and thanks again for doing this.”

 “It’s no problem! Seriously. I’ll see you tomorrow,”

I hang up the phone and smile, a little bit wary about seeing Aisha’s parents for the first time.  What if they don’t like me? What if they don’t think I’m suitable for their daughter? What if…

 Okay Darren….Breathe….

 There’s no point of fussing, it won’t help anything. It’ll be fine. I know it will.

The next day: the day of opening night

Aisha’s POV

 “No…no…no! Don’t run out of battery…no…don’t die…please don’t die…NO!”

 I throw my phone across onto one of the front row seats in frustration. My phone was our only music source until Annie got back with the final CD with all of the tracks in the right order.

 “A bit angry, are we?” Aria walks past the front row. She was of her crutches now but still not allowed to dance as she had to rest her ankle.

 “My phone just died, meaning we don’t have music until Annie gets back.” I tell her, showing that I was justified in my frustration.

 “Ah,” she says. “That may be a problem,”

 “Just maybe,” I say, smiling.

 “Wait, didn’t you make Matt get that piano and put it in the wings?”

 “Oh, of course, yeah! I could play for most of them as I know how to play most of the songs. That could actually work. Thanks Aria!” I smile at her, feeling fairly happier.

 I turn, looking for Matt. I see him at the side of the stage, talking to someone who is performing tonight. Rather than disturbing him, I go to the side of the stage and find the piano.

 I push it out onto the side of the stage (it’s one of those wheely ones), where it could be seen and sit down at the bench.

 Matt comes out of his conversation and sees me at the piano. He comes over, leaning over the piano to talk to me.

 “What are you up to?” He asks, smiling slightly.

 “My phone died, so I thought we could use the piano and my voice for music until Annie gets back.”