Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Forty-One

Chapter Forty-One

It’s not easy to pretend that you are happy. But the most difficult thing you could experience is to stand up for a decision you’ve never wanted to happen.

The next morning I went to school for the first time feeling fine and care free. I even greeted the school guard when I got in. Then as I passed the corridors I greeted the students I don’t usually talk to or even know. Huh! I’m done and I’m going crazy! Ah, no! Wrong word! I. Am. Crazy.

But when I saw Andrew I felt myself stop.

He smiled and he tapped my head. ‘So aren’t you going to greet me?’

I laughed awkwardly. ‘Hi.’

‘I’m glad you’re smiling again.’ he touched my cheek.

I don’t know but I felt heat rush up my face when he did that. It was kind of weird.

‘Andrew,’ I called him when he can’t take his eyes off of me.

He blinked. ‘I wish—‘

I raised both of my eyebrows. ‘You wish what?’

‘Nothing.’ He prompted.

‘I heard it!’

‘So you heard it and yet you ask me what is it?’

I sighed. ‘You’re so hard to get.’

‘We’re just the same.’ He said.

I smiled at him. ‘You’ll always be my best friend.’

‘I wish I wasn’t even one of those.’ He prompted.

I frowned. ‘Why not?’

‘Because you’ll never be mine if that’s the case.’ He answered.

‘If you hadn’t been my friend we might not have been close, Drew.’

He nodded then silence enveloped us.

‘Mr. Silence passed.’ He joked and I laughed a bit.

‘I wish you have been mine.’ He said. ‘Forget about that!’ he laughed instead. ‘I don’t want to ruin your mood.’

‘Drew, you know love is like your snacks for recess.’ I recalled what Kelpie told me. ‘Sometimes people would like to have it. Sometimes you want to share it but no one seems to want it. And there are times when someone needs it the most yet they only keep quiet.’

He snickered. ‘You just fell in love and now you’re going cheesy all over.’

‘No.’ I shook my head. ‘What I’m saying is that you open your heart for someone to come in.’

He held my hand and he placed it to his chest. ‘You’re the only one inside here.’

‘Then give some room for others to visit.’ I shrugged. ‘You might not know one of them might want to stay.’

He smiled then the bell rang.

‘I love you, Psyche.’

I nodded. ‘I know. I love you too.’

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

When lunch came I looked around the canteen in search for Cupid since he wasn’t in Calculus this morning. I didn’t even see him around during recess so I thought that maybe he’s here for lunch. But when I looked at his usual table “The Clan” was there but still no Cupid.