Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

Sometimes, you think you’re already over a person but when you see him smile, you'll suddenly realize that you're just pretending to be over him just to ease the pain of knowing he'll never be yours.

Two more weeks left before the prom and everybody gets cranky especially the girls for their gowns and partners. All the school buses and limos where already set up and booked, the shoes and dresses might also be sold out. Yet as for me, I don’t even know what to wear. I just don’t like being in a crowd especially at socials and everything. It’s just not my thing. I can wear a gown but I’d rather be on my converse sneakers than a pair of cigarette heels.

Did I mention that the school play is also a few months away? No? Then if you just want to know it will happen weeks before the graduation. If you only saw the look on Mr. Severino’s face when he found me entering the theater. He was glorified that I have recovered. I can’t believe him really and now he’s stressing us out in rehearsals because he’s so pressured.

“That was good, Cupid!” he yelled at him. They were rehearsing a scene from the play where Peter (Cupid’s character in the play) meets Gabriella (my character in the play).

 “Okay, let’s go to scene 21! Faster people time is gold! Ahoo, ahoo!” I giggled with some of the staffs. Mr. Severino was like a Spartan in 300.

“Gabriella!” he yells and everybody looks at me. Oh right. I’m playing Gabriella.

I raised my hand to be seen. “Er… Cupid, station yourself on the other side of the stage.” Cupid did what he was told.

“Good. Now maestro first song please!” Mr. Severino instructed the student guitarist and they started strumming the chords of “True” by Ryan Cabrera.

Well, just to clear where this is going, scene 21 is where the Peter muses at his hopeless romantic love, Gabriella who has also a hidden love interest for him too.

Cupid was assigned to sing the first verse while I was assigned on the verse after the chorus but then it sounds really lame that he was only singing for the purpose of “singing”. If only he could sing from his heart then maybe he could bring life to the song.

“Cupid, son, please stop!” Mr. Severino shouted and the guitarists also stopped. Cupid placed the script down and he looked at our director. “Son, are you feeling sick?”

“No, sir.” Cupid prompted meeting his gaze.

“Do you know the lyrics of the song?” he asked patiently.

Cupid nods, irritably.

“Then what’s it about? Do you really know what the song says?” Mr. Severino stood from his seat.

“It’s about a guy trying to confess his love for a girl?” his sentence runs into a question.

“Exactly, Cupid! So you as the guy, you should act as if you’re a man in love!” Mr. Severino waved and bulges his eyes like he wanted to eat Cupid alive. “You sing like you’re a man who’s about to have a root canal!”

Cupid sighs and nods at him.

“Goodness, have you ever been in love?” he asked.

Cupid looks at Mr. S as if he’s crazy. “I don’t know.” He shrugs. “Maybe.”

“Pretty much you’re the god of love! Silly! Just imagine that you’re confessing your feelings to a girl you love.” he shouted and then he turned towards me. Oh no, I’m dead. “Psyche, I want you to cooperate with Mr. Confiar. Act as if you are both in love. Now, chop-chop! ACTION!”