Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Twenty- Seven

A broken heart is like a broken mirror. It is better to leave it broken than to hurt yourself trying to fix it.

It’s hard when you knew a friend has fallen in love with you. You don’t know what to choose—whether it’s friendship over love or love over friendship. Aish! This is so stressful. I suddenly remembered the story of Love and Friendship that I received from Andrew before.

Love was complaining because he has no work to do. Then Friendship on the other hand was also complaining because she always ends up doing Love’s work instead of her job.

One heck of a weird story. But then I feel so anxious because I don’t know what to say to Andrew afterwards and at the same time, I am afraid of breaking his heart because I already broke mine—many times. What if Andrew changes? I couldn’t bare that. He’s one of the closest friends that I have and I couldn’t forgive myself if his life would be miserable because of me.

Many people might have wondered when Cupid and I didn’t finish our dance. I run towards the direction where I last saw Andrew heading. I searched everywhere but I couldn’t find him. Maybe he has left. My stylist had found me roaming around the corridors and she brought me back to the backstage so that I could change into my third dress.

It’s a unique dress by Mori Lee and it took the classic style ball gown and added a modern twist with a multicolor pattern on the strapless bodice. The lace up back gives the strapless evening gown a slim fitting style on top while the full floor length skirt features a sheer overlay with scattered beads to add a touch of sparkle. I couldn’t quite describe the color of the dress because the bodice was indeed colorful but the tulle was orange.

As I went out of the dressing room Cupid turned to me questioningly but he didn’t bother to say anything. The wringing anxiety on my face might have answered his question.

He’s in a white long-sleeve polo shirt; on top was a black vest and a black western tie was added to complete the outfit. When our names were called I noticed that he was wearing casual jeans and a pair of sneakers. It’s so unfair! They let me wear a gown while he’s in casual attire!

“Psyche, let’s go.” He pulls me as he wears his black fedora hat.

Not for long, the gift giving started and I looked at the line of my friends to realize Andrew wasn’t there. I felt Cupid’s hand on mine, giving it a gentle squeeze.

Janica had given me an umbrella. She even said that I already had a lot of stuffs so she decided to give me this because I would always run in the rain without this. And the corniest thing that she said: “I hope you remember me when you use this because I’ll be sheltering you over a towering rain.” You go girl! Perk it up!

Then Kelpie follows. Before she could give me her gift she handed me a small star shaped paper. Her gift seemed to be a bounded book—I just guessed.

“I guess if you read this you’d find the courage to do what you have to do. I know you’ll love it because you love reading and probably because when I first read it, I remembered you.” she laughs and she gave me a half hug before descending the stairs.

I looked at the star shaped paper only to find Andrew’s hand writing.

This doesn’t mean I’m giving up on you, Psyche. I’m just giving you some space for you to be with him because this is your night and I want you to be happy. If you need someone to punch him when it hurts too much, don’t hesitate to call me I’ll be here for you. I don’t want to see you sad because of him. If only I could turn the whole world upside down and be Cupid, I would. I want to see and to make you smile every day. I’ll always be here to wait for you.