Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

He never was and never will be mine.

I was told not to hurt the heart of whom I love so much. But when I was so busy taking care of that heart, I never noticed mine was bleeding.

After that night my parents tried to talk to me about what happened. But I only gave them short syllables. The longest word I have told them was “I don’t want to talk about it; okay?”.

So fine they knew about Cupid and Persephone now and my parents tried to deal with it that Pers was the one with Cupid and not me. I tried not to think about it that they would arrange everything now and take my sister to my position. Now I know how and what she feels when she heard about the “deal” thing. It was hell and killer than hell.

I also realized that I am no longer a child. I have grown up and I have cried, smiled, learned and loved because of love. It feels so weird how time flies and I wish that I was back in middle school where my dad was the only guy I had in the world. And now, I’m crying over someone who wasn’t even worth my time and tears.

As I went to school on Monday, but it was like I wasn’t even there at all. All day long I was like a zombie attending class and likewise what I do to my parents I only talk in less syllables. Janica hugged me at once when dismissal finally came. I called them both after I cried the whole night because of Cupid again. The pain’s still gnawing me inside and I have to grasp her shirt to hold on from the tears that fall from my eyes.

We both went at the dorm and there I told her more details about what happened because she said that when I was talking on the phone I was mumbling all the words and I cried and cried and cried the whole conversation with them.

‘Psyche, cry it out all you want. That jerk!’

‘Why is this happening to me?’ I asked her but she didn’t say anything to me.

‘Kai,’ I turned around and I saw Andrew with Kelpie. His eyes were full of concern. I know that that concern was for me. Kelpie gave Janica a nod and she stood up and walked away with Kelpie leaving me and Andrew alone.

‘I heard what happened—‘

‘Drew,’ I called his name then I run to him and I hugged him tightly. I know of all people he would understand. Because I know he had felt the same way.

He hugged me tightly in return.

I grasped his shirt the way I did to Janica earlier. ‘It hurts, Andrew. It hurts!’ I sobbed.

He didn’t answer he just hugged me tighter and he brushed my back.

‘I can’t take it anymore…’ I almost whispered.

‘Kai, I don’t want to see you like this. If only I could lessen the hurt that you feel I will.’

He said as he let me face him.

‘He doesn’t have the right to hurt you.’ I felt the anger in his voice. ‘Why can’t you just love me instead?’

I felt myself taken aback. The impact of his last sentence was strong because I wanted to point that to Cupid too.

Then Andrew’s voice started to quiver. ‘I’m sorry, Psyche, if I can’t make the pain inside you any less.’ I glanced up at him and I saw his teary eyes but he hugged me back. ‘I’m sorry that I can’t even make you smile. I’m sorry because I can’t protect you from the hurt.’

‘Andrew…’

‘I know it’s wrong for me to force you to love me but I can’t take anymore to see you cry because of Him.’ he cried. ‘I don’t want to see you get hurt because it hurts me too, Psyche.’