Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

What is BOYFRIEND? Addition of problems, Subtraction of friends, Division of money and Multiplication of enemies.  Am I right? If not, screw me.

Life should be like a game of cards, make a mistake, shuffle and start over.

I don’t know, that thought just came into my head because I feel that it’s sort of true.

Anyways, Venus said that she’ll be my fairy godmother so I let her; for the mean time I waited for her in my room. Then I notice the pair of earrings my parents gave me so I decided to use them since it’s a special occasion somehow. I also found Andrew’s gift beside my jewelry box. I opened it and I smiled at his gift. My eyes then flickered on that glittery thing inside my jewelry box. I took it out and in the dim light of my lamp shade the diamonds of the bracelet sparkled.

Psyche, are you going to wear it tonight? I looked at the wrist watch that Andrew gave me again then my eyes went back to Cupid’s bracelet. Which one should I use? I placed both on the table and I just stared at both like it’s some kind of a written exam. Finally, deciding which one to use, I placed one back to its container and I wore the other one on my left hand. What is it? Well, it’s a secret. You’ll learn which gift I wore later.

Just in time I finished fixing my stuff, Venus went back inside the room with a rectangular box in her arms. I offered her some help but she told me to stay where I am.

“I told you, Psyche, I’ll be your fairy godmother. And because I am, here is the perfect dress for my favorite debutant.” She said, so excited that she opened the box for me.

“Wow, it’s beautiful.” I said as I looked at it in quite awe. I was tempted to touch it but I was also scared that if I did, the magic and brilliance might go away.

“It’s the same dress I wore on my debut. So now, since I don’t have a daughter and you’re as close to me like my own, I’m passing this on to you.”

“Oh no! I can’t take this. This is yours— I don’t deserve this.”

She smiles thoughtfully like any mother would. Warm and caring. “Aw… sweet heart, I got this for you. I went back to our house as fast as I could so that you can wear this.” I sighed. “Psyche, don’t say that you don’t deserve this because everything you have right now are meant for you. Now don’t waste some time! Get inside this dress so that we can get the party started!”

She waved her hands in the air like she was dancing and I laughed with her.

Maybe you’re wondering what the design of the dress she gave me is. Well it’s a satin bodice with sweetheart strapless neckline decorated with a sparkling beading design and overlaid with tulle draping. The circular tulle, ball gown skirt with beaded edging is asymmetrically draped overskirt and corset tie at the back. The color of the dress is light blue; close enough to be white.

When I was all ready and set to go down the stairs, my heart beat accelerated. I know I’m nervous because I’ll be ascending downstairs and be thrown out to a lot of people like I’m the banquet. I just hope I won’t fall down the stairs. But then there’s something more to that. As I went to stand close to the stairs, before the emcees mentions my name, I caught sight of him.

He was in a black wool tuxedo. The inside garment was light gray and his bow tie matched the color of my dress. My heart hammered inside me like timpani drums.

God, why do you have to create such a very handsome creature like him? He caught sight of me and our gazes locked. He slowly smiled at me flashing his perfect white teeth and then all of a sudden I heard the near to ending of the song played on the speakers.