The Golden Scepter

[picture on the left is Carlos the Guarduan of the scepter]

Golden Scepter

I was curled at the corner of the jail cell in the dungeons below the Welworth castle. I was put in here because I had stolen bread from the local bakery.  Several weeks has passed after that incident.  I heard the familiar footsteps of the guard drawing closer.  I saw a man dress in silver and black armor, standing in front of the bars.

“Judgment has come, Sewer rat,” the guard sneered and used a key to open the door.

He walked in and yanked me up onto my feet and forced me out.  I gave him my darkest look, but he ignored and it forced me up the stairs.  After the stairs I was paraded, I could see the look of disgust from the people of the Welworth’s court, after all I haven’t bathe in several weeks, and the rotten smell of the dungeons has scented on me.  The guard and I walked through the double doors and after several steps, the guard threw me forward.  I saw a man in his forties stare at me; he looked evil, thin black mustache and a pointing goatee.   I bowed and stood up looking at the king.

One of his advisors bent over and whispered in hushed tones with the king.  After a moment the king stood up and approached me.

“Today is your lucky day, I need you to fetch something for me,” he said seriously.

I looked confused.

“You have two choices, do the task I assigned or death?” he said uninterested.

I debated on it a quick second, “What do I have to do?”

“Good choice,” the king smiled. “You have to go the other side of the country, stray from the beat path into the dark forest.  In the middle of the said forest lies a lake and in the middle of that rest a tall mountain that belches smoke. Enter the bowels of the mountain and you’ll find a golden scepter. Bring the scepter back to me and you have your freedom.” The king explained.

“Okay.”

“However, it was said the scepter is guarded by a very powerful guardian. Some say it’s a beast, other say it’s an ungodly creature, so good luck.”

I nodded and left the room.

~3 weeks later~

                I was in the bowels of the mountain, I found a temple carved out, I opened the stone doors and drew out my sword and crept in. The golden scepter was on a shrine against the back wall.  I walked a little faster.  I saw the details of the golden scepter. It was a double headed snake facing each other and their forked tongue out and they held in place a dark blue sapphire diamond.

                “Who dares disturbs my inner sanctum?” an eerie voice echoed.

                I spun around my sword raised.

                “Who’s there?” I commanded.

                “A mortal, who, walks into my temple in and attempted to steal my scepter and doesn’t know who I am? You are a fool.”

                “Are the guardian of the scepter?”

                “Ah so you have heard of the guardian, but still a fool.”

                “Show yourself!”

                “How dare you command me?!”  The temple rumbled against the guardian’s fury.