Sixteen: Advice

Jason stepped out of the cold shower with a heavy sigh.

What the hell was Venus Meadow doing to him? Any other girl's opinion on him he did't give a flying fuck about, but he wanted her to like him.

So of course he went and screwed it up with Kalie. Literally.

In the mirror, two fresh injuries stood out on his neck from Venus. The first just a bruise. The second, a violent, nasty bite. It was clear evidence that the sadistic side of her that created Sugar Skull was there somewhere.

And Jason liked it.

When he opened the door, an unusual smell hit him. A sizzling sound came from the kitchen. He looked up to see Venus cooking something, her back to him.

After getting dressed in his room, he walks back out into the kitchen. Venus hears his door open and swing close. She glances over her shoulder with a small smile.

"Hey..." Jason begins, sitting on the seat on the other side of the bench. Venus turned around to look at him.

"Hi," she replies, turning the stove off. "We going to talk about this like adults now?"

"You going to tease me and then abandon me?" He replies. When Venus goes to glare at him, she sees he is smiling; a joke.

"We both know you deserved it," she smirks.

"...Yeah." When she begins spooning what she cooked into a container, Jason screws his face up.

"What?"

"The fuck is that?"

"Roasted butternut squash with kale and almonds," she says.

"It looks disgusting."

Venus frowns suspiciously, before opening the draw and taking out a fork. "Try it," she says seriously. Jason looks at her in surprise as she scoops up a small portion.

Leaning over the bench, she held the fork out to him. Just as he was about to eat it, he looked at her suspiciously. Why the sudden change in attitude? 

"Worried I poisoned it?" She grins.

"Well now that you've said it!" He says back.

"Don't worry. If I wanted to kill you, you'd be dead," she replies encouragingly.

He stares at her for a moment, smirking, before trying the butternut squash. Venus pulls the fork away.

"Okay... it's not that bad."

"Tastes better than steak."

"Nothing tastes better than steak.

"Honestly I don't remember what steak tastes like. Pork and chicken I remember. Lamb I hated. Bacon I probably miss the most," Venus says contemplatively, looking at the ceiling in thought.

Jason smiles at her. When she is like this, it's almost as if she were never Sugar Skull, or Gotham's District Attorney. He shakes such sentimental thoughts from his mind.

"Hey, look. I'm...I'm s-sorry...for the whole 'Kalie' and 'it's just fucking' thing," he blurts out. Venus withdraws, looking at him in surprise.

That was the last thing she had expected him to say. All evidence pointed in the opposite direction. If anything she expected him to emerge from his room with five different girls at once just to get revenge.

"Well, I accept your apology," she replies softly, before sniggering. "That must have been hard for you."

He grins, "You have no idea."