Five: Agendas

"Ven!" My sister comes to my side, gun in hand.

"Detective," I respond casually. "Remind you of when we were kids?"

Growing up in Lightway City with our Dad being its most notorious mob boss, shoot outs and heists were a common part of life. This is no exception, even though until the incident at the courthouse it had been about three years since I had last fired a gun.

Because of that preparedness, shooting the first vinyl-clad freak who comes at me in the thigh is nothing but familiar. I pistol whip him before he drops. The rest are focused on the 'Bat Family', meaning Robin, Nightwing, Red Robin, Red Hood and Batman.

Why is everyone so red?

"Ven, where do you keep the key?" Ginger asks me.

"Somewhere safe."

She frowns, "Don't you trust me?"

"It's not that," I roll my eyes, "I have to keep it to myself."

Before she can make a comeback, someone must speak through the communicator in her ear. Gordon, likely. She gives me weary look before running out of the hall. He must be in trouble.

Her movement draws a henchmen from Robin over to me. He swings a clawed hand at my face and I catch it, pull him forward and knee him in the balls, then the stomach. As he tips forward I grasp his head and smash his face into my knee. Another comes right behind him and I catch his nose with the heel if my palm, followed by a throat punch with my hand.

Throughout I spot Nightwing and Red Hood looking over several times. At least they're still 'protecting' me.

The ballroom floor soon becomes littered with unconscious morph-suit bodies. Robin and Nightwing finish off the last two together, a sight which draws everyone's attention. It's why I react a second too late when I sense the presence to my left.

A loud crack echoes through the room. Something wraps around my neck, tearing the skin there open. I reach up and grab the whip with both hands, turning to find the last assailant dresses in black, pointing a gun at me.

Everyone has stopped, a tense silence falling over the room.

"Stay where you are!" My 'captor' screams at whoever moves forward, "Or I'll shoot her in the head."

I snort, barely keeping myself from choking to death, "How will you get your key then? Fucking moron."

His clothed head snaps towards me. I assume I'm being glared at. He starts winding the whip, trying to drag me towards him- like any girl with a brain expecting to face certain turmoil while wearing Louboutins, I use hot glue on the sole for extra grip.

So I don't budge.

"You don't-"

"Shut up!" The guy cuts Nightwing's pointless reasoning off. "Listen here bitch," he growls, stepping up to me, pulling the whip so that I have to grab it at my neck instead. He leans in close, "We're going to get that key. You and I are gonna walk out of here, no Bats to protect you."

In my peripheral I can see the Bats sizing up, ready to take this delusional asshole to the ground.

As if. He's close enough now for a take-down

I smirk into his mask, "What makes you think I can't protect myself?"

My hands are covered in my own blood, but it doesn't matter. I risk my neck by letting go of the whip and pushing his arms out. He fires then gun when it's knocked away. I wrap my fingers around the back of his skull and drive my forehead into his nose.