Twelve: Wrong Move

Jason pulls up at the Gotham animal cemetery. I hoped that maybe he'd let me do this alone, but he starts to climb out. I sigh and follow his example.

It's still snowing lightly, making the feeling of being in a graveyard worse. He stays behind me as I walk through the rows of headstones, equipped with animal names.

Finally, we reach the headstone of my cat Lucifer.

"You had a pet named Lucifer?" Jason chides. I ignore him and kneel down in front of the grave.

My ex-fiancé gave me Lucifer when we were kids. Lucifer went most places with me. He died after I brought him to Gotham.

On top of the snow covered stone is a blue collar with a silver bell on it. I dust the frost off of it and take the bell in hand.

"Seriously? You left it out in the open like this?"

"Who the hell searches for a key in a pet cemetery?" I snap back at Jason.

He stays silent as I pull the bell apart, the key dropping in the snow. I kneel down and grab it, slip it in my pocket and put the collar back.

Jason turns around and starts walking away. I roll my eyes and look back at Lucifer. I miss him so much.

I reach out to touch the engraved name, when Jason shouts at me. "Will you hurry up!?"

I throw him a glare, letting my fingers grace the stone for a moment. "I miss you," I say, barely above a whisper. Lucifer was there for me when no one else was.

With a deep sigh, holding back tears, I shove my hands in my pockets and begin walking towards Jason. He turns around and continues to the car.

I speed my walking up, opening the passenger door by the time he had his belt on. Funny; I expected him to do anything but wear his seatbelt.

Pissed at the way he disregarded the fact that we were literally standing at the grave of my best friend, I fold my arms and turn to the window, pretending he's not there.

"We just have to take the key to you know who," he says, shooting through the streets like a maniac. I don't reply.

Something strange overcomes my senses, including my eyes watering. I dab my eyelid and realise, for the first time in years, I was about to cry.

Why? I went to Lucifer's grave regularly.

Jason says something but I ignore him, doing my best to blink away the tears and breath slowly. It works.

"So what? You're going to ignore me now? Should I apologise?" He jokes cruelly at the end of the sentence.