15

I breathe a sigh of relief as soon as we step out of JFK airport. We finally made it to New York. As much as I enjoyed looking out the window on the plane, it was nice to finally be back on the ground - to know where I was. Pulling out my phone, I let my mom know we've landed. She's almost as thrilled as I am.

Placing my luggage on the floor, I stretch out my arms and legs. Sitting for too long always makes my body hurt. I can't even feel my butt. 

"So," Hannah says, looking around. "What now?"

"We wait," Jack says, leaning forward on one of my suitcases.

"Wait for what?" She asks.

"Our ride," he states.

I cock my head at him. "We have a ride?"

He nods. "Nate is picking us up and taking us to his apartment in SoHo." 

My heart stops.The Nate that claimed he had seen my brother? The Nate that is basically the whole reason we're even on this trip right now?

"His apartment?" Hannah's voice goes high pitched. "Do you not have your own?"

"Well, I sort of live with him. So I guess you could say it's our apartment." Jack admits. 

I furrow my eyebrows. Something's not adding up. We just got here and he's already not telling us stuff. A part of me wants to rethink my choice of coming here with him, but I remember the reason I said yes in the first place. For my brother. That's all I care about. I shouldn't even be worrying about Jack's personal life and who he does or doesn't live with.

"Wait so how big is this apartment that we're talking?" Hannah questions. "Is Nate hot?"

"It's average size," Jack laughs. "You'll see when he gets here."

Hannah seems unsatisfied with Jack's answers. "How many rooms?" She coos.

"Two," he says. "Nate has his room and I usually sleep in the other one but I'll be sleeping on the couch now so you and Nadia can share the room."

"You don't have to do th-"

"Thank you very much," Hannah says, cutting me off. She gives me the stink eye, knowing that I was going to suggest him staying in the room and us sleeping on the couch. 

Jack chuckles. "It's my pleasure."

We stand in silence after that, giving me time to think about everything. I'm still confused about a lot of stuff. Like why Jack had all those boxes in that empty house. Why did he even buy a house in Omaha if he wasn't going to be staying there? How much money does he even have and where does he get it from? Does he work? Is he coming back with Hannah and me if we find Jack? Why doesn't he have his own apartment here if not? I thought he did. Where's his family? He can't possibly be all alone without one before he's even nineteen - can he?

A vibration in my pocket interrupts my thoughts. I pull my phone out and see that Sammy texted me. I laugh to myself. Poor guy, he's still back in Omaha. I think New York is an hour ahead of Omaha, so it's around 5:00 P.M over there. 

Your momma told me you guys landed, how cool is NY?

We just got here Sam, the only thing we've seen is the airport

Well is the airport cool there? Is it better than the one here?

It takes me a couple minutes to decide. In all honestly, I like the one back home better, but maybe I'm just being biased.

They're the same

Damn you, I wish I could judge for myself - send me a pic!

We're not inside anymore dumbass

Wow fuck you, never thinking about me smh, you should've taken like a million cool pictures by now.

Shut up you're being a cry baby

I'm all alone with no one to hang out with but my mom and your mom

Go find a girl to hook up with

I would be hooking up with Hannah right now if you hadn't dragged her along with you

I almost start choking as soon as I finish reading his text. Is he being serious? I sneak a glance at Hannah, who is standing next to me with her legs crossed. Would she hook up with him? With the way she's been treating him lately I feel like the answer would be no, but you never know.

A loud honk causes me to jump, I look away from my Hannah and see a car zooming into the parking lot. The three of us watch it as it makes it's way closer to us.

"Gilinsky!" A voice booms from the vehicle. An older guy rolls down the window. He looks about twenty-one.

A  faint smile instantly attacks Jack's face. "Maloley!" I assume Maloley is Nate's last name. 

"You're finally back," Nate says, nodding his head. "We missed you here."

We? Who is we? I mean yeah I guess it wouldn't make sense if Jack only had one friend here, but it's not like I have a lot of friends in Omaha, and he never mentioned anyone but Nate.

Jack nods back, walking up to the silver car. His shoulders look a little stiff, which worries me, but the two of them do some sort of secret handshake. I can't tell if they're really that great of friends or not. I can't tell if Jack really trusts him, although the handshake did seem like a peaceful gesture. Hannah and I look at each other.

"And who are these pretty little ladies you're trying to hide from me?" Nate questions, jokingly pushing Jack out of the way. 

"Nadia Johnson," Jack clarifies, pointing over at me. "And Hannah," he finishes. Nate purses his lips, eyeing me up and down. What the hell?

I shift all my weight onto my left foot, feeling uncomfortable. Why did Jack tell him my last name? Then it hits me. He's telling Nate that I'm Jack's sister without telling him that I'm Jack's sister. 

"Well get in here," Nate tells us. Jack pulls open the passenger door and pushes over the seat. He backs up so Hannah and I can get in the back. 

Hannah and I stand still, both of us not wanted to be the first to me. Jack and Nate get a good laugh out of that one. "He doesn't bite," Jack promises, grabbing my hand. He leads me to the car and lets go so I can get in myself. Hannah follows right behind me. 

"It'll take a little while to get there," Nate says as Jack gets comfortable in his seat. "So enjoy the sights all around you." 

As Nate starts to drive and we get further and further away from JFK, I start to relax. This is really happening. I'm okay. Everyone's okay. Hopefully my brother is okay too.

_______________________

hello! hope you guys enjoyed that chapter! As soon as I finish getting Hannah and Nadia all set up in Nate and Jack's apartment the real fun will begin haha, thanks for being patient! Feel free to comment any suggestions or questions and don't forget to vote if you'd like!

-gilinskyshigh